(Rounder) A.P., Sara, and Maybelle Carter didn’t invent country music, but they defined how it would be sung for the next few decades: in God-fearing, closely harmonizing style. These recordings, The Carter Family Anchored in Love and My Clinch Mountain Home, the first two of nine planned CDs, are certainly seminal (in their time, only Jimmie Rodgers was as big a star), but they’re something more: When Sara lets loose with her straightforward, heavily accented soprano (”cwar” for choir), surely the angels in heaven take note. Anchored: A Clinch: A
Posted December 24 1993 — 12:00 AM EST
- Barack Obama crashes Stephen Colbert's post-Super Bowl 'Late Show'
- Twitter finds unofficial Super Bowl mascot in diarrhea medication ad
- Schick channels 'Transformers' for Super Bowl 50 ad
- Taraji P. Henson confuses Coldplay with Maroon 5: 'Oooooooopppps. Lmao!'
- These are the best Super Bowl 50 halftime show GIFs
- Psylocke swoops in during 'X-Men: Apocalypse' Super Bowl teaser
- See all the movie trailers that aired during Super Bowl 50