(Rounder) A.P., Sara, and Maybelle Carter didn’t invent country music, but they defined how it would be sung for the next few decades: in God-fearing, closely harmonizing style. These recordings, The Carter Family Anchored in Love and My Clinch Mountain Home, the first two of nine planned CDs, are certainly seminal (in their time, only Jimmie Rodgers was as big a star), but they’re something more: When Sara lets loose with her straightforward, heavily accented soprano (”cwar” for choir), surely the angels in heaven take note. Anchored: A Clinch: A
Posted December 24 1993 — 12:00 AM EST
- Jon Stewart gives Seth Rollins the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt--on WWE Raw
- First look: Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Edward Snowden
- Watch the first gameplay trailer for Harmonix's 'Amplitude'
- Kelly Clarkson + Jimmy Fallon in 11-duet medley
- From 'People': Suge Knight hospitalized again, says he 'can't really see'
- Arnold Schwarzenegger to be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame
- From People: Texas man commemorates DressGate with tattoo of 'The Dress'