There’s enough about the Critic (Jan. 26, 8:30-9 p.m.), a new cartoon series from co-executive producer James L. Brooks (The Simpsons), that captures the critic’s profession with a mean accuracy that I wish the damn thing had been funnier. Jon Lovitz provides the voice for Jay Sherman, a balding, pot- bellied, 36-year-old film critic who hosts a cable-TV show, Coming Attractions. He has a catchphrase (”It stinks!”), he schmoozes with the stars he’s supposed to cover as a journalist, and he agonizes over the diminishment of his once high critical standards in return for a salary of $271,000. Sherman is, in short, many people’s image of a certain kind of critical hack, and thus a potentially terrific creation. But in its debut episode, The Critic squanders much of the masochistic goodwill this critic brought to the show. There are surprisingly long, tedious scenes involving Sherman’s neurotic adoptive family, a subplot about a dishy actress who sleeps with Sherman to get a good review (not hard to see where that story goes), and numerous lame-film-star parodies. The primary problem is that the show can’t decide who deserves contempt more-the movies or the people who make their living reviewing them. Speaking from experience, I’d say that, for as much of a weasel as they’ve made Sherman out to be, he’d have been more amusing if he were even weasellier. C+
The Critic There's enough about the Critic (Jan. 26, 8:30-9 p.m.), a new cartoon series from co-executive producer James L. Brooks (The Simpsons), that captures...The CriticComedy, Cartoons/Animation There's enough about the Critic (Jan. 26, 8:30-9 p.m.), a new cartoon series from co-executive producer James L. Brooks (The Simpsons), that captures...1994-01-28
Genre: Comedy, Cartoons/Animation; Starring: Jon Lovitz
Posted January 28 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- Bubba Watson says he's removing Confederate flag from his 'Dukes of Hazzard' car
- Taylor Swift, Jimmy Fallon, more celebs spend July 4 on Instagram, Twitter
- 'Crimson Peak' exclusive: Mia Wasikowska flees the darkness in Guillermo del Toro's Gothic chiller
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!