John Wayne didn’t live to see laserdisc become the video format of choice for movie buffs and filmmakers, but somebody somewhere thinks he should have. That’s one conclusion to be drawn from this idolatrous edition of The Comancheros, a middling good-guys-versus-faux-Indians Western. Sure, the transfer is gorgeous, as is the restored stereo soundtrack; sure, the bonuses — commentary by surviving actors, production stills — are agreeable time-wasters. But The Comancheros remains a standard shoot-‘em-up, notable only as the last work of Casablanca director Michael Curtiz. As a result, the treatment here seems so overblown it diminishes the movie’s modest pleasures. C+
The ComancherosJohn Wayne didn't live to see laserdisc become the video format of choice for movie buffs and filmmakers, but somebody somewhere thinks he should have....The ComancherosWesternJames Edward GrantUnratedJohn Wayne didn't live to see laserdisc become the video format of choice for movie buffs and filmmakers, but somebody somewhere thinks he should have....1994-02-04Jack ElamLee MarvinJack Elam, Lee Marvin
Genre: Western; Starring: Stuart Whitman, John Wayne, Jack Elam, Lee Marvin; Director: Michael Curtiz; Author: James Edward Grant; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted February 4 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Disney eyes live-action 'Prince Charming'
- Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend lands own Beats 1 Radio show
- 'Sesame Street': Sonia 'Maria' Manzano's 7 favorites
- 'Hannibal': No go at Netflix, Amazon
- Caitlyn Jenner gives empowering talk in new 'I Am Cait' trailer
- Michael Eisner clarifies comment that beautiful, funny women are 'impossible to find'
- Sluggish Fourth of July box office no picnic for Hollywood
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!