This theatrical dud from director-star Robert Townsend (Hollywood Shuffle) is about a mild-mannered ghetto dweller who uses newfound superpowers to clean up his community, and it’s just as cloyingly unwatchable on video as it was in the movie house. The few laughs are of the down-and-dirty variety – he and a villain try to vogue each other to death – suggesting that maybe Townsend should drop the socially redeeming stuff and just go all-out crude. On the star-spotting tip, The Meteor Man features enough celebrity cameos (Bill Cosby, Beverly Johnson, various rappers) to make it the African-American analogue of Won Ton Ton, the Dog Who Saved Hollywood. D
Genre: Comedy, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Robert Townsend, Bill Cosby, Marla Gibbs, Eddie Griffin, James Earl Jones, LaWanda Page, Robert Guillaume, Stephanie Williams; Director: Robert Townsend; Author: Robert Townsend; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: MGM
Posted February 4 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- J.K. Rowling loves Amy Schumer's book
- Chris Pratt encourages people to go outside and look for trolls
- Kanye West scored Kardashian family movies to 'Only One' for Kim's birthday
- 'Once Upon a Time' star says Robin Hood return provides closure
- Jason Sudeikis duets with Harry Connick Jr. as Harry Connick Jr.
- Chris Pine cast in Ava DuVernay's 'A Wrinkle in Time'
- Julie Chen on 'Big Brother' showmances: 'Go for it!'