This theatrical dud from director-star Robert Townsend (Hollywood Shuffle) is about a mild-mannered ghetto dweller who uses newfound superpowers to clean up his community, and it’s just as cloyingly unwatchable on video as it was in the movie house. The few laughs are of the down-and-dirty variety – he and a villain try to vogue each other to death – suggesting that maybe Townsend should drop the socially redeeming stuff and just go all-out crude. On the star-spotting tip, The Meteor Man features enough celebrity cameos (Bill Cosby, Beverly Johnson, various rappers) to make it the African-American analogue of Won Ton Ton, the Dog Who Saved Hollywood. D
Genre: Comedy, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Robert Townsend, Bill Cosby, Marla Gibbs, Eddie Griffin, James Earl Jones, LaWanda Page, Robert Guillaume, Stephanie Williams; Director: Robert Townsend; Author: Robert Townsend; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: MGM
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- Kit Harington fights terrorism in 'Spooks: The Greater Good' trailer
- Billie Joe Armstrong musical 'These Paper Bullets!' coming to LA, NYC
- 'It Follows': The story behind the score
- Nick Jonas talks hosting the 2015 Kids' Choice Awards, his new image and that Kanye West cover
- Ben Stiller's little-known punk rocker past comes to light
- 'Barely Lethal' R rating overturned
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!