This theatrical dud from director-star Robert Townsend (Hollywood Shuffle) is about a mild-mannered ghetto dweller who uses newfound superpowers to clean up his community, and it’s just as cloyingly unwatchable on video as it was in the movie house. The few laughs are of the down-and-dirty variety – he and a villain try to vogue each other to death – suggesting that maybe Townsend should drop the socially redeeming stuff and just go all-out crude. On the star-spotting tip, The Meteor Man features enough celebrity cameos (Bill Cosby, Beverly Johnson, various rappers) to make it the African-American analogue of Won Ton Ton, the Dog Who Saved Hollywood. D
Genre: Comedy, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Robert Townsend, Bill Cosby, Marla Gibbs, Eddie Griffin, James Earl Jones, LaWanda Page, Robert Guillaume, Stephanie Williams; Director: Robert Townsend; Author: Robert Townsend; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: MGM
Posted February 4 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Disney's live-action 'Nutcracker' casts Mackenzie Foy as Clara
- WATCH: Anthony Anderson sings in 'Doc McStuffins' season premiere
- Donald Trump sent cease and desist letter from The O'Jays
- 'Stranger Things' bosses tease 'darker' season 2
- 'Wolf Creek' TV show to spook viewers in October
- Netflix chief: There are too many 'mediocre' shows
- Questlove condemns Bill O'Reilly for slavery comments
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels