This theatrical dud from director-star Robert Townsend (Hollywood Shuffle) is about a mild-mannered ghetto dweller who uses newfound superpowers to clean up his community, and it’s just as cloyingly unwatchable on video as it was in the movie house. The few laughs are of the down-and-dirty variety – he and a villain try to vogue each other to death – suggesting that maybe Townsend should drop the socially redeeming stuff and just go all-out crude. On the star-spotting tip, The Meteor Man features enough celebrity cameos (Bill Cosby, Beverly Johnson, various rappers) to make it the African-American analogue of Won Ton Ton, the Dog Who Saved Hollywood. D
Genre: Comedy, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Robert Townsend, Bill Cosby, Marla Gibbs, Eddie Griffin, James Earl Jones, LaWanda Page, Robert Guillaume, Stephanie Williams; Director: Robert Townsend; Author: Robert Townsend; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: MGM
Posted February 4 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Sesame Street's' Maria is departing after more than 40 years
- Casting Net: Michael Ian Black and Missi Pyle sign on for 'Slash'
- Blood Orange releases Charleston-influenced song 'Do You See My Skin Through The Flames?'
- Rihanna has done something no one else has ever done
- Chumbawamba launched Kickstarter for I Get Knocked Down documentary
- Lifetime greenlights flick about Charles Manson gals
- 'Graceland' first look: Watch Johnny help Sid escape
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files': David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Beyoncé, LL Cool J, Taylor Swift & More!