This theatrical dud from director-star Robert Townsend (Hollywood Shuffle) is about a mild-mannered ghetto dweller who uses newfound superpowers to clean up his community, and it’s just as cloyingly unwatchable on video as it was in the movie house. The few laughs are of the down-and-dirty variety – he and a villain try to vogue each other to death – suggesting that maybe Townsend should drop the socially redeeming stuff and just go all-out crude. On the star-spotting tip, The Meteor Man features enough celebrity cameos (Bill Cosby, Beverly Johnson, various rappers) to make it the African-American analogue of Won Ton Ton, the Dog Who Saved Hollywood. D
Genre: Comedy, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Robert Townsend, Bill Cosby, Marla Gibbs, Eddie Griffin, James Earl Jones, LaWanda Page, Robert Guillaume, Stephanie Williams; Director: Robert Townsend; Author: Robert Townsend; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: MGM
Posted February 4 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Gods of Egypt' director: 'Our casting choices should have been more diverse'
- Patti LaBelle spends Thanksgiving with pie fan James Wright
- Hear Sia's new single 'One Million Bullets'
- A breakdown of the 13 most absurd moments in the 'Rocky IV' training montages
- Anne Hathaway is pregnant
- New look at 'Batman v Superman' will debut during 'Gotham' fall finale
- Daniel Radcliffe says he was 'not wanking' on set of 'Harry Potter'