The dedication of this vicious first novel (”for Bret Ellis”) should be taken as a warning. The story of Emery Roberts, a movie star who abandons the set of a $40 million film to hide out with other Hollywood fugitives in a Vermont farmhouse, Pool is a hateful exercise in sustained glibness, intended as an indictment of Tinseltown. Evidently, someone in Brat Pack 101 forgot to tell this not untalented author that creating shallow and insipid characters isn’t the same as parodying shallow and insipid people. Roberts and his terminally jaded friends drink, drug, scoff at the locals, and sneer at the industry, which, Sahgal wants you to know, is corrupt. As the singer Leonard Cohen once wrote, ”If these thoughts interest you for even a moment/you are lost.” D
Pool The dedication of this vicious first novel (''for Bret Ellis'') should be taken as a warning. The story of Emery Roberts, a movie star who abandons the...PoolFictionAjay Sahgal The dedication of this vicious first novel (''for Bret Ellis'') should be taken as a warning. The story of Emery Roberts, a movie star who abandons the...1994-02-04
Genre: Fiction; Author: Ajay Sahgal
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- 'Better Call Saul' insider on THAT Jimmy-Chuck shocker
- Casting Net: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski join voice cast of 'Animal Crackers'
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!