The dedication of this vicious first novel (”for Bret Ellis”) should be taken as a warning. The story of Emery Roberts, a movie star who abandons the set of a $40 million film to hide out with other Hollywood fugitives in a Vermont farmhouse, Pool is a hateful exercise in sustained glibness, intended as an indictment of Tinseltown. Evidently, someone in Brat Pack 101 forgot to tell this not untalented author that creating shallow and insipid characters isn’t the same as parodying shallow and insipid people. Roberts and his terminally jaded friends drink, drug, scoff at the locals, and sneer at the industry, which, Sahgal wants you to know, is corrupt. As the singer Leonard Cohen once wrote, ”If these thoughts interest you for even a moment/you are lost.” D
Pool The dedication of this vicious first novel (''for Bret Ellis'') should be taken as a warning. The story of Emery Roberts, a movie star who abandons the...PoolFictionAjay Sahgal The dedication of this vicious first novel (''for Bret Ellis'') should be taken as a warning. The story of Emery Roberts, a movie star who abandons the...1994-02-04
Genre: Fiction; Author: Ajay Sahgal
Posted February 4 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!