The dedication of this vicious first novel (”for Bret Ellis”) should be taken as a warning. The story of Emery Roberts, a movie star who abandons the set of a $40 million film to hide out with other Hollywood fugitives in a Vermont farmhouse, Pool is a hateful exercise in sustained glibness, intended as an indictment of Tinseltown. Evidently, someone in Brat Pack 101 forgot to tell this not untalented author that creating shallow and insipid characters isn’t the same as parodying shallow and insipid people. Roberts and his terminally jaded friends drink, drug, scoff at the locals, and sneer at the industry, which, Sahgal wants you to know, is corrupt. As the singer Leonard Cohen once wrote, ”If these thoughts interest you for even a moment/you are lost.” D
Pool The dedication of this vicious first novel (''for Bret Ellis'') should be taken as a warning. The story of Emery Roberts, a movie star who abandons the...PoolFictionAjay Sahgal The dedication of this vicious first novel (''for Bret Ellis'') should be taken as a warning. The story of Emery Roberts, a movie star who abandons the...1994-02-04
Genre: Fiction; Author: Ajay Sahgal
Posted February 4 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Protesters plan anti-Beyoncé rally outside NFL headquarters
- Looking back on Carole King's 'Tapestry' 45 years later
- Civilians to pose as prisoners for new A&E docuseries '60 Days In'
- Cassie Clare sued for copyright infringement over Shadowhunter series
- 'The Flash' ratings jump to 14-month high for Earth-2 reveal
- 'OUAT' bosses reunite with Elizabeth Mitchell, Lail for 'Dead of Summer'
- How 'Vinyl' star Bobby Cannavale tormented the director of 'Ant-Man'
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday