Car 54, Where Are You? (Orion, PG-13), a loud, garish update of the campy ’60s sitcom is a brainless floparooney. The annoyingly cartoony David Johansen (that voice — stop it!) and the unamusingly dorky John McGinley star as odd-couple officers Gunther Toody and Francis Muldoon in a labored plot that includes the protection of a witness (Jeremy Piven, before The Larry Sanders Show) about to testify against a mobster (Daniel Baldwin, before Homicide), and the alleviation of Muldoon’s virginity. Ha ha ha, right? Other talent flailing away: Rosie O’Donnell (in her first movie role) as Lucille Toody, Fran Drescher as Muldoon’s sexual salvation, Al Lewis (reprising his TV role as Leo Schnauser), and Nipsey Russell (upgrading his TV role from unfunny officer to unfunny precinct captain). Call 911. D-
Genre: Comedy; Starring: David Johansen, John C. McGinley, Daniel Baldwin, Fran Drescher, Nipsey Russell, Rosie O'Donnell, Jeremy Piven; Director: Bill Fishman; Status: In Season
Posted February 11 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters