Oscar Crease is suing a Hollywood producer for stealing his play; he is also suing an auto company because his car ran him over after it broke down and he tried to jump-start it. Oscar’s lover, Lily, is suing her ex-husband and thinking of suing her family’s preacher, who persuaded them to leave all their money to his church; she is also contemplating a suit against the doctor who gave her faulty breast implants. Oscar’s father is a judge presiding over any number of suits, and Oscar’s sister’s friend is suing everybody under the sun. Composed almost entirely of dialogue, A Frolic of His Own is a technical masterpiece: Even though none of the speakers is identified in the conventional sense, and all of the action is contained in the dialogue, the story is surprisingly clear and easy to follow. Perfectly timed and perfectly biting, it exposes the absurdity of today’s litigation-happy society: a place in which people will turn to the law at the drop of a hat, less for recourse from an imagined ill than for recourse from themselves. A-
A Frolic of His Own Oscar Crease is suing a Hollywood producer for stealing his play; he is also suing an auto company because his car ran him over after it broke down...A Frolic of His OwnFictionWilliam Gaddis Oscar Crease is suing a Hollywood producer for stealing his play; he is also suing an auto company because his car ran him over after it broke down...1994-02-11
Genre: Fiction; Author: William Gaddis
Posted February 11 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kanye West's 'All Day' gets misheard lyrics video from Joe Mande
- Robert De Niro to NYU students: 'You're f--ked'
- Kurt Sutter's new series a go at FX
- Mike Huckabee posts support for Duggars
- 'Tomorrowland': What did the critics think?
- 'Golan the Insatiable' with Aubrey Plaza and Rob Riggle: First Look trailer
- Amy Schumer and Paul Feig to pair up for new comedy
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!