”I have stumbled over so many pebbles marking Josephine’s path through the world that I sometimes wonder if she is putting them out for me.” Josephine: The Hungry Heart is a stunning biography of Josephine Baker (born 1906 in the St. Louis Social Evil Hospital; died 1975 in a Paris hospital built for criminal women) comes out of two decades of obsessive research by Jean-Claude Baker, who knew her well but wasn’t related. The century’s great black sex symbol was a stripper, singer, | dancer, actress, and one of Europe’s biggest stars, but New York hotels barred her for being black. She was married at 13, again for a ”hot minute” at 15, and again, and again, and again. Both in real life and on stage ”she used her body as a weapon against the world because it was the only thing she trusted, it had got her where she was.” She smuggled World War II intelligence for the French Resistance, dallied with Picasso, Cocteau, and Castro (the FBI had a 1,000-page file on her). Spiced with some of the best biographical anecdotes in print, and even spicier photos, this book is about being a woman, black, indomitable, ravishing, brilliant, and impossible. A+
Josephine: The Hungry Heart ''I have stumbled over so many pebbles marking Josephine's path through the world that I sometimes wonder if she is putting them out for me.'' Josephine: The Hungry HeartBiographyChris Chase, Jean-Claude Baker ''I have stumbled over so many pebbles marking Josephine's path through the world that I sometimes wonder if she is putting them out for me.'' 1994-02-11
Genre: Biography; Author: Chris Chase, Jean-Claude Baker
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- 'Orphan Black' creators break down the latest twist: 'It's an interesting revelation for us'
- 'SNL': How'd Scarlett Johansson and Wiz Khalifa do?
- 'Scandal' panel: 5 best moments, season finale teases
- 'Walking Dead' actor in subway rant clip
- Celebrities who share a birthday with the new Royal Baby
- Ruth Rendell, mysteries writer, dies at 85
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': $84.5M Friday
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Kerry Washington, Plus Gwen Stefani, the Spelling-McDermott Family & More!