What’s that eardrum-grabbing mesh of hip-hop drums, slide guitar, and whiny hook you’re beginning to hear on the radio? It’s ”Loser,” by 23-year-old L.A. singer-songwriter Beck. First released last summer on a tiny Hollywood label, the undeniably addictive ”Loser” threw Beck (full name: Beck Hansen) into an unlikely bidding war, with Geffen’s DGC label winning out. The result is the national release of the song, and four others, on the five-song CD Loser (DGC). Like its charmingly grating title song, the rest of ”Loser” is essentially a white-guy take on the pothead hippie-rap of Cypress Hill, Arrested Development, and the Jungle Brothers. The added attraction is sheer mystique: Sounding like a slacker rattling around in a basement opium den, Beck is a stoner folkie one song, a white rapper railing against dead-end jobs the next. (Those fuzzy cover photos don’t help, either.) ”I don’t know what the f— is going on,” he slurs at record’s end. Perhaps his first full album, Mellow Gold, due in March, will help us figure that out, too. B+
Loser (Music - Beck)What's that eardrum-grabbing mesh of hip-hop drums, slide guitar, and whiny hook you're beginning to hear on the radio? It's ''Loser,'' by 23-year-old L.A...Loser (Music - Beck)RockWhat's that eardrum-grabbing mesh of hip-hop drums, slide guitar, and whiny hook you're beginning to hear on the radio? It's ''Loser,'' by 23-year-old L.A...1994-02-11
Genre: Rock; Lead Performer: Beck; Producer (group): DGC
Posted February 11 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt