The Secret Garden is a darkly lavish version of the Frances Hodgson Burnett children’s story makes clear its link to gothic romance; basically, it’s Jane Eyre retooled for the sandbox set. Thankfully, director Agnieszka Holland found the perfect young actress to play Mary Lennox, the cynical orphan who brings herself and her uncle’s (John Lynch) gloomy estate into bloom when she discovers a hidden bower. With the face of a sour cherub, Kate Maberly is more fun to watch before Mary becomes a happy camper – she’s likably unlikable. Holland’s lush color scheme loses some oomph on video, but it’s hard to imagine the little loner in your house not taking this one to heart. B
The Secret Garden The Secret Garden is a darkly lavish version of the Frances Hodgson Burnett children's story makes clear its link to gothic romance;...The Secret GardenSci-fi and Fantasy, DramaG The Secret Garden is a darkly lavish version of the Frances Hodgson Burnett children's story makes clear its link to gothic romance;...1994-02-11Maggie Smith
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Drama; Starring: Kate Maberly, Heydon Prowse, Maggie Smith, Maggie Smith; Director: Agnieszka Holland; MPAA Rating: G
Posted February 11 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Zachary Levi and Neil Patrick Harris compete in 'Laser Maze' on 'Best Time Ever'
- Beach House announce surprise sixth album, due next week
- The 'Sherlock' Christmas special trailer is here!
- 'Old Yeller' actor Kevin Corcoran dies at 66
- Lance Bass says someone 'inappropriately' touched him during early *NSYNC days
- Tom Petty addresses past heroin addiction in new biography
- 'Chicago Med' adds 'Alias' alum