A proto-feminist and aviation daredevil, Amelia Earhart stands out in the American imagination as a trailblazer in a field where few women ever made a name for themselves. Her myth was fueled by her disappearance in 1937 during a round- the-world flight and has since been rekindled in various biographies and documentaries. Nothing, however, will put a spin on the Earhart legend like Randall Brink’s Lost Star, which unpacks convincing new evidence that Earhart took her last flight not as a civilian adventurer, but as a spy for the U.S. military, sent under orders from FDR to investigate Japanese military outposts in the Pacific. Though Brink can’t prove Earhart’s final destiny (he speculates that she was shot down, captured, and possibly executed by the Japanese), he has added a riveting, penultimate chapter to the Earhart annals.
Lost Star: The Search for Amelia EarhartA proto-feminist and aviation daredevil, Amelia Earhart stands out in the American imagination as a trailblazer in a field where few women ever made a...Lost Star: The Search for Amelia EarhartHistory, NonfictionRandall BrinkA proto-feminist and aviation daredevil, Amelia Earhart stands out in the American imagination as a trailblazer in a field where few women ever made a...1994-02-18W.W. Norton
Genre: History, Nonfiction; Author: Randall Brink; Publisher: W.W. Norton
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!