Hiring kith and kin is common in Hollywood, but Angela Lansbury has turned Murder, She Wrote (CBS, Sundays, 8 p.m.) into a veritable family reunion. The actress-executive producer has given jobs to her brother and her sons, but you won’t hear CBS complain. After all, it’s the familial atmosphere that keeps the 68-year-old star of one of the network’s longest-running and highest-rated shows happy. ”I don’t believe that I would have remained with the series if I hadn’t had my family around,” she says. Lansbury calls her husband, Peter Shaw, 75, an ”unofficial consultant” for the show. Son Anthony Shaw, 42, became Mom’s dialogue coach in 1984, in Murder’s first season (”Nepotism reared its head early in the game for me,” Lansbury admits), and will direct nine of this season’s 22 episodes. Stepson David Shaw, 50, is president of Lansbury’s Corymore Productions, which coproduces Murder with Universal and made Lansbury’s 1992 TV movie, Mrs. ‘Arris Goes to Paris. Her younger brother Bruce, 64, recently became a supervising producer for the series. Working in the family business has its ups and downs, but the clan insists their relationship is harmonious. ”We disagree, but Angie wins because she’s the executive producer,” says Bruce. Off set, titles are left behind. ”Even though Angie’s working,” says David, ” she still cooks the Christmas dinners.”
Posted February 18 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- Kanye's new album: 'So Help Me God'
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!