Branigan’s 1982 hit, ”Gloria,” took disco to operatic extremes, and her ‘84 ”Self Control” was basically Joy Division’s Goth-punk classic, ”She’s Lost Control,” made more lurid. Nowadays, Branigan is beating Celine Dion at Dion’s own game, dancing between a loudly sung boom and a lonely housewife gloom. On Over My Heart, she climbs out on a new limb, belting out lyrics in Spanish and a South African dialect. But she’s still rending hearts, especially when she remembers the day her family moved away from her best friend in a ‘59 station wagon.
Over My Heart Branigan's 1982 hit, ''Gloria,'' took disco to operatic extremes, and her '84 ''Self Control'' was basically Joy Division's Goth-punk classic, ''She's...Over My Heart Branigan's 1982 hit, ''Gloria,'' took disco to operatic extremes, and her '84 ''Self Control'' was basically Joy Division's Goth-punk classic, ''She's...1994-02-18
Lead Performer: Laura Branigan; Producer (group): Atlantic
Posted February 18 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Nice Guys' Ryan Gosling, Russell Crowe go retro in '70s-style trailer
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star reacts to Stephanie's cold move
- Simon Cowell goes Hannibal Lecter in 'America's Got Talent' promo
- Police looking at possible drug OD in Prince's death, report says
- Penelope Cruz to star in reinvention drama 'Layover'
- 'The Catch' lands 'Happy Endings,' 'Army Wives' stars
- What to Watch Thursday: 'Lip Sync Battle' stages a 'Community' reunion