Sipping like Johnny Cash from the fountain of youth, 80-year-old beat godfather William s. Burroughs has already collaborated with Ministry, the Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy, and Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain; all he needs is a gig as presenter at the next MTV Video Music Awards to cross over into full-fledged resurrection. The high-profile Arista tribute album planned for Cash’s fellow country & western veteran and prison aficionado Merle Haggard should make him an attractive partner for wannabe tears-in-the-beer rockers like the Gin Blossoms and the Jayhawks. And classic crooner Mel Torme, with his playfully suave theatricality, is just begging to be dragged out of the lounge and into the mosh pit.
Posted February 18 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Miley Cyrus opens the 2015 VMAs with Instagram lessons
- Amber Rose and Blac Chyna challenged all the haters with their VMAs outfits
- Nicki Minaj brings out Taylor Swift to open the 2015 MTV VMAs
- Taylor Swift debuts 'Wildest Dreams' music video before the VMAs
- Nick Jonas crushes the VMA red carpet with 'Levels' performance
- T-Pain took over EW's Instagram for the VMAs
- 5 Seconds of Summer wins 2015 Song of the Summer VMA for 'She's Kinda Hot'
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!