A whole new batch of women are emphasizing the ”artist” in recording artist. Sam Phillips, thanks to a sultry voice and ironic songwriting touch, has long carried the tag ”critics’ darling.” Her new album, Martinis and Bikinis, puts a rock & roll spin on her soulful, born-again Christian stance. Canadian Sarah McLachlan’s third U.S. album, Fumbling Towards Ecstasy, features her warm, ethereal voice and expressive folk-rock balladry, along with touches of electropop and ambient sound. For 10 years, Kristin Hersh has been known as the voice and creative force behind the acclaimed alternative band Throwing Muses. Now she’s finally showcased on her solo debut, Hips and Makers, a beguiling record that’s heavy on both poetry and emotion.
Posted February 18 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Jeff Probst on the players he is surprised did not get voted into 'Survivor'
- Everything you need to know about the 2015 MTV VMAs
- Justin Timberlake and Jonathan Demme are making a 'space age music film'
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!