A whole new batch of women are emphasizing the ”artist” in recording artist. Sam Phillips, thanks to a sultry voice and ironic songwriting touch, has long carried the tag ”critics’ darling.” Her new album, Martinis and Bikinis, puts a rock & roll spin on her soulful, born-again Christian stance. Canadian Sarah McLachlan’s third U.S. album, Fumbling Towards Ecstasy, features her warm, ethereal voice and expressive folk-rock balladry, along with touches of electropop and ambient sound. For 10 years, Kristin Hersh has been known as the voice and creative force behind the acclaimed alternative band Throwing Muses. Now she’s finally showcased on her solo debut, Hips and Makers, a beguiling record that’s heavy on both poetry and emotion.
Posted February 18 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- A$AP Rocky's 'At.Long.Last.A$AP' to drop at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!