Faith Hill isn’t the only woman taking country’s high road. Iris DeMent’s debut record, 1992’s Infamous Angel, revealed a pure voice with a timbre sharp enough to cut glass, giving her folksy tunes an authentically rural feel. Shelby Lynne is country music’s comeback kid. After three formulaic major- label albums, she went over to tiny Morgan Creek Records and released 1993’s stunning Temptation, a bluesy big-band romp that finally established her as a big-league contender. Martina McBride was just another pretty Nashville face until her second album, last year’s The Way That I Am, intro- duced a punchier sound and a new, uptown look. The result: two Top 40 country hits, ”My Baby Loves Me” and ”Life 9.
Posted February 18 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'SNL' puts an 'X-Files' spin on those Super Bowl snack commercials
- Whitney Houston's brother remembers her iconic Super Bowl performance
- Zoolander and Hansel critique presidential candidate fashion on 'SNL'
- Bernie Sanders appears with Larry David on 'SNL'
- Danai Gurira on the big 'moment of truth' coming up on 'The Walking Dead'
- 'Bern Your Enthusiasm': Larry David stars as Bernie Sanders in 'SNL' spoof
- DGA Awards 2016: Alejandro Gonzalez Iñárritu wins for 'The Revenant'