Box executive VP Les Garland picks the breakout urban acts of ‘94: ”K7 does urban-pop that mixes hip-hop, dance, and reggae. The members were in another Florida-based group, TKA. We got thousands of calls for their video ‘Louder Than Love’ but only locally. K7 has the same vibe, and a bigger label to push them nationally. Xscape’s new single, ‘Understanding,’ will break this female quartet’s hip- hop-flavored R&B. Not quite as poppy as SWV, but it pushes your buttons. Domino is a Long Beach rapper establishing himself as much more than Snoop Doggy Dogg’s childhood pal. He’s not really a gangsta-more a party boy, rhyming over mellow and funky grooves. His single ‘Getto Jam’ is already doing well on The Box.”
Posted February 18 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt