Box executive VP Les Garland picks the breakout urban acts of ‘94: ”K7 does urban-pop that mixes hip-hop, dance, and reggae. The members were in another Florida-based group, TKA. We got thousands of calls for their video ‘Louder Than Love’ but only locally. K7 has the same vibe, and a bigger label to push them nationally. Xscape’s new single, ‘Understanding,’ will break this female quartet’s hip- hop-flavored R&B. Not quite as poppy as SWV, but it pushes your buttons. Domino is a Long Beach rapper establishing himself as much more than Snoop Doggy Dogg’s childhood pal. He’s not really a gangsta-more a party boy, rhyming over mellow and funky grooves. His single ‘Getto Jam’ is already doing well on The Box.”
Posted February 18 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!