Box executive VP Les Garland picks the breakout urban acts of ‘94: ”K7 does urban-pop that mixes hip-hop, dance, and reggae. The members were in another Florida-based group, TKA. We got thousands of calls for their video ‘Louder Than Love’ but only locally. K7 has the same vibe, and a bigger label to push them nationally. Xscape’s new single, ‘Understanding,’ will break this female quartet’s hip- hop-flavored R&B. Not quite as poppy as SWV, but it pushes your buttons. Domino is a Long Beach rapper establishing himself as much more than Snoop Doggy Dogg’s childhood pal. He’s not really a gangsta-more a party boy, rhyming over mellow and funky grooves. His single ‘Getto Jam’ is already doing well on The Box.”
Posted February 18 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Bob Saget joins 'Fuller House,' says John Stamos in a tweet
- 'Wayward Pines' boss Chad Hodge talks episode 3: The Terrence Howard hymnal you didn't hear
- National Spelling Bee announces two champions
- '19 Kids & Counting' nix: Hulu exec says...
- Mariah Carey: 'Idol' was 'worst experience of my life'
- Kristen Bell live tweets her mistaken UberPool ride
- Casting Net: B.J. Novak joins Michael Keaton's 'The Founder,' Will Forte boards Key & Peele comedy