Box executive VP Les Garland picks the breakout urban acts of ‘94: ”K7 does urban-pop that mixes hip-hop, dance, and reggae. The members were in another Florida-based group, TKA. We got thousands of calls for their video ‘Louder Than Love’ but only locally. K7 has the same vibe, and a bigger label to push them nationally. Xscape’s new single, ‘Understanding,’ will break this female quartet’s hip- hop-flavored R&B. Not quite as poppy as SWV, but it pushes your buttons. Domino is a Long Beach rapper establishing himself as much more than Snoop Doggy Dogg’s childhood pal. He’s not really a gangsta-more a party boy, rhyming over mellow and funky grooves. His single ‘Getto Jam’ is already doing well on The Box.”
Posted February 18 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Which Frankenstein would you date?
- Laurie Metcalf talks Misery villain: 'I'm golden to go as violent as I want'
- 'The Man in the High Castle' postmortem: Episode 5, 'The New Normal'
- Erykah Badu announces release date for new phone-themed mixtape
- The Olsen twins are officially not in 'Fuller House'
- Taran Killam talks about going animated for new PBS Kids series 'Nature Cat'
- Ava DuVernay responds to Quentin Tarantino’s 'Selma' comments
- 19 TV Families That Will Make You Thankful for Yours
- Literature's 8 Most Dysfunctional Thanksgiving Dinners
- 'Captain America: Civil War': Decoding the New Trailer
- EW's Entertainers of the Year pick their Entertainers of the Year
- EW's 2015 Entertainers of the Year
- Holiday Gift Guide: For the 'Star Wars' Obsessive