STRICTLY BALLROOM Paul Mercurio, Tara Morice (1992, Touchstone, PG, priced for rental) Enormously entertaining, this larger-than-life tribute to ballroom dancing is the closest modern movies have come to comic-book romance. As the rebel hoofer (Mercurio) and the wallflower (Morice) step the night away toward a championship, the movie is like Rocky with dip and glide. Directed with a choreographer’s knowing and passionate eye by Baz Luhrmann, it may be diminished in size by video but not in spirit. It is just plain swell. A -LO’T
Genre: Comedy, Musical; Starring: Paul Mercurio, Tara Morice, Gia Carides; Director: Baz Luhrmann; Author: Baz Luhrmann; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: PG
Posted February 18 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters