Viacom’s $9.8 billion merger with Paramount Communications creates an entertainment conglomerate that includes major TV fare (Paramount’s Entertainment Tonight and the Star Trek franchise; Viacom’s MTV, VH-1, and Nickelodeon), a publishing division (Simon & Schuster), and a sports empire (New York’s Knicks and Rangers). It’s a virtual Pandora’s box of synergistic possibilities. To wit: *Knicks at Nite Hours of beautifully restored black-and-white reruns of New York Knicks’ games. *Beavis and Butt-head: The Next Generation Cretins in space: ”Uh, Beavis, why are the Enterprise and toilet paper the same thing? Huh huh.” ”Heh heh. They both wipe out Klingons and circle Uranus. Heh heh heh.” *The Ren & Leeza Show Bloodshot Chihuaha revives ratings of perkaholic talk show with dose of Gumbelesque bile; all guests greeted with the phrase, ”You eeediot!” *VH-Wayne Public-access show undergoes yuppie makeover: hourly showings of Tia Unplugged; all videos by Amy Grant, Whitney Houston, and Enya followed by the word Schwing! *Rush Limbaugh Unplugged Right-wing loudmouth author sans microphone. It’s perfect: He gets to talk, and we don’t have to hear him. *The Real Firm World Six lawyers cooped up in a Memphis apartment for a year. Repeated requests to ”see your torts.” -Jeff Gordinier, Nisid Hajari, Michael T. Rose, Patricia Sellers
Posted March 4 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- How one comic book is tackling female sexuality in totally new ways
- Director Jon Watts on how 'Cop Car' helped him land 'Spider-Man'
- Seth Rollins broke John Cena's nose on 'WWE Monday Night Raw' but the fight continued on
- Hear an exclusive Deer Tick song from upcoming Amazon Music playlist
- Farm Aid 30th anniversary show to feature new stars
- Mike Huckabee's holocaust comment leaves Jon Stewart speechless
- Jimmy Kimmel makes 'Bachelorette' couple promise to never break up
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Beyoncé, Kanye West, Uma Thurman & More!