Viacom’s $9.8 billion merger with Paramount Communications creates an entertainment conglomerate that includes major TV fare (Paramount’s Entertainment Tonight and the Star Trek franchise; Viacom’s MTV, VH-1, and Nickelodeon), a publishing division (Simon & Schuster), and a sports empire (New York’s Knicks and Rangers). It’s a virtual Pandora’s box of synergistic possibilities. To wit: *Knicks at Nite Hours of beautifully restored black-and-white reruns of New York Knicks’ games. *Beavis and Butt-head: The Next Generation Cretins in space: ”Uh, Beavis, why are the Enterprise and toilet paper the same thing? Huh huh.” ”Heh heh. They both wipe out Klingons and circle Uranus. Heh heh heh.” *The Ren & Leeza Show Bloodshot Chihuaha revives ratings of perkaholic talk show with dose of Gumbelesque bile; all guests greeted with the phrase, ”You eeediot!” *VH-Wayne Public-access show undergoes yuppie makeover: hourly showings of Tia Unplugged; all videos by Amy Grant, Whitney Houston, and Enya followed by the word Schwing! *Rush Limbaugh Unplugged Right-wing loudmouth author sans microphone. It’s perfect: He gets to talk, and we don’t have to hear him. *The Real Firm World Six lawyers cooped up in a Memphis apartment for a year. Repeated requests to ”see your torts.” -Jeff Gordinier, Nisid Hajari, Michael T. Rose, Patricia Sellers
Posted March 4 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt
- Comedian Matt Braunger on pilot season, his new album 'Big Dumb Animal,' and the science of titles