With apologies to Esquire, I’m periodically going to showcase the soap women- and men-we love. First: Martha Byrne (As the World Turns). Assuming the role of Lily in 1985, Byrne made her a marvelously morose teen, winning a 1987 Emmy. ”It was easy,” says Byrne, now 24. ”As a teenager you’re depressed to begin with.” After she quit in 1989, her replacement never quite flowered. Last year Byrne returned as Lily, currently a torch singer and kidnap victim, expertly portraying her as ”a total emotional mess.” She now anchors one of daytime’s most compelling love triangles with Lily’s husband, Damian (Paolo Seganti), and Holden (Jon Hensley). ”The audience is really torn-which I love,” says Byrne. ”One (fan) letter says, ‘I love you.’ Another says, ‘You’re a tramp.’ What more could I want?”
Posted March 4 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Rihanna & Drake countdown website is fake: source
- 'Supergirl' casts Superman villain Metallo — exclusive
- 'The Office' stars Jenna Fischer, Angela Kinsey reunite
- A bachelor party turns bloody in extreme clip from horror film 'Siren'
- Walton Goggins tells the story of losing his front teeth... twice
- James Franco, Zoë Kravitz, Jack Reynor to star in sci-fi film 'Kin'
- Allison Janney 'arrested' Emily Blunt on 'The Girl on the Train' set