With apologies to Esquire, I’m periodically going to showcase the soap women- and men-we love. First: Martha Byrne (As the World Turns). Assuming the role of Lily in 1985, Byrne made her a marvelously morose teen, winning a 1987 Emmy. ”It was easy,” says Byrne, now 24. ”As a teenager you’re depressed to begin with.” After she quit in 1989, her replacement never quite flowered. Last year Byrne returned as Lily, currently a torch singer and kidnap victim, expertly portraying her as ”a total emotional mess.” She now anchors one of daytime’s most compelling love triangles with Lily’s husband, Damian (Paolo Seganti), and Holden (Jon Hensley). ”The audience is really torn-which I love,” says Byrne. ”One (fan) letter says, ‘I love you.’ Another says, ‘You’re a tramp.’ What more could I want?”
Posted March 4 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Nicolas Cage to star in parental thriller 'Mom and Dad'
- 'The Originals' boss on the casting change you may have missed
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on his acerbic antihero 'Deadpool'
- Universal wins film rights for 'Gone Girl' author's ghost story 'The Grownup'
- Julie's Diary: 'Vampire Diaries' boss breaks down Damon's big fight scene
- Inside Disneyland's magical Dream Suite
- Oscars 2016: Michael B. Jordan, Daisy Ridley, Cate Blanchett join presenters