With apologies to Esquire, I’m periodically going to showcase the soap women- and men-we love. First: Martha Byrne (As the World Turns). Assuming the role of Lily in 1985, Byrne made her a marvelously morose teen, winning a 1987 Emmy. ”It was easy,” says Byrne, now 24. ”As a teenager you’re depressed to begin with.” After she quit in 1989, her replacement never quite flowered. Last year Byrne returned as Lily, currently a torch singer and kidnap victim, expertly portraying her as ”a total emotional mess.” She now anchors one of daytime’s most compelling love triangles with Lily’s husband, Damian (Paolo Seganti), and Holden (Jon Hensley). ”The audience is really torn-which I love,” says Byrne. ”One (fan) letter says, ‘I love you.’ Another says, ‘You’re a tramp.’ What more could I want?”
Posted March 4 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Exclusive photos and intel on new characters from season 6 of ‘The Walking Dead'
- 'CSI' casts 'Faking It' star Katie Stevens for finale
- Christina Applegate on turning down 'Legally Blonde': 'What a stupid move'
- The Chilean miners disaster story comes alive in first trailer for 'The 33'
- 'Banshee' confirmed canceled after fourth season
- See EWwy campaign posters for the best dramatic actor nominees
- Netflix chief still 'thrilled' with Adam Sandler after 'Pixels' flop
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Tyra Banks, The Madden Bros., Taylor Schilling & More!