With apologies to Esquire, I’m periodically going to showcase the soap women- and men-we love. First: Martha Byrne (As the World Turns). Assuming the role of Lily in 1985, Byrne made her a marvelously morose teen, winning a 1987 Emmy. ”It was easy,” says Byrne, now 24. ”As a teenager you’re depressed to begin with.” After she quit in 1989, her replacement never quite flowered. Last year Byrne returned as Lily, currently a torch singer and kidnap victim, expertly portraying her as ”a total emotional mess.” She now anchors one of daytime’s most compelling love triangles with Lily’s husband, Damian (Paolo Seganti), and Holden (Jon Hensley). ”The audience is really torn-which I love,” says Byrne. ”One (fan) letter says, ‘I love you.’ Another says, ‘You’re a tramp.’ What more could I want?”
Posted March 4 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Casting Net: James Marsden, Rosario Dawson, more lend voices to 'Henchmen'
- Bruce Jenner in photo shoot as woman
- Judy Greer and Nat Faxon preview 'Married' season 2
- Universal TV to adapt 'The Wicked + The Divine' comic for TV
- Emma Stone as an Asian-American in 'Aloha': Who's buying it?
- Iggy Azalea cancels Great Escape Tour
- Marvel contest gives teen girls the chance to attend 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- Cruel Intentions Reunion, Kim Kardashian, Soleil & Demi and More!