COFFEE WILL MAKE YOU BLACK April Sinclair (Hyperion, $19.95) ”Madame Walker inventing the straightening comb was the best thing that happened to the Negro next to Emancipation.” ”White people are like actors, they don’t feel things the way we do.” Stevie, the smart, adventurous heroine of Sinclair’s funny, fresh first novel about growing up African-American in 1960s Chicago, picks her way through minefields of advice from her mother’s generation while searching for a place in her own. She outgrows an early obsession with good hair and the right skin color (fudge? Cracker Jack? pecan? paper bag?) to discover politics and self-respect after Martin Luther King is murdered. Sinclair writes like Terry McMillan’s kid sister, in earthy, slangy dialogue peppered with down-home expressions. A girl is as ugly as ”homemade sin.” Winter weather is ”stomp-down cold.” She has a knack for framing heavy questions in quick, easy, upbeat vignettes that make the ’60s sound like the good old days. B+ -Suzanne Ruta
Coffee Will Make You Black COFFEE WILL MAKE YOU BLACK April Sinclair (Hyperion, $19.95) ''Madame Walker inventing the straightening comb was the best thing that happened to the...Coffee Will Make You BlackFictionApril Sinclair COFFEE WILL MAKE YOU BLACK April Sinclair (Hyperion, $19.95) ''Madame Walker inventing the straightening comb was the best thing that happened to the...1994-03-04
Genre: Fiction; Author: April Sinclair
Posted March 4 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath' introduces a gay hero to the galaxy
- 'Castle' books 'The O.C.' star in season 8
- 'Big Brother' host Julie Chen calls eviction 'ridiculous and dumb'; says Steve 'chickened out'
- Caitlyn Jenner explains how her views on marriage equality have evolved
- Ed Burns was super nervous his first day working with Tom Hanks on 'Saving Private Ryan'
- Blue Ivy dedicates Disney favorite to mom Beyoncé on her birthday
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Murder,' 'Scandal' & more
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!