In a sly reversal of his Exorcist role, Von Sydow plays a satanic shopkeeper who hangs out his shingle in a sleepy town. There he trades for people’s souls by tempting them with the objects they covet most-an amulet that cures arthritis, a Mickey Mantle baseball card. Based on yet another Stephen King novel, the movie is at its best early on when it sardonically spoofs its source material. But as the townsfolk turn on each other, the mayhem gets increasingly noisy and conventionally bloody. By the end, half the town has blown up, half the people are dead, and a Baptist preacher and a Catholic priest are slugging it out on the main street. Not funny, not scary, just stupid.
Genre: Horror, Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Bonnie Bedelia, Ed Harris, Amanda Plummer, Max von Sydow, J.T. Walsh; Director: Fraser Clarke Heston; Author: W.D. Richter; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Columbia Pictures, New Line Cinema
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:29 AM EST
- Game of Thrones: Melisandre actress on nude scenes and Jon Snow interest
- 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' products to hit shelves in September
- J.K. Rowling apologizes for 'Harry Potter' death
- Kanye West announces new album title
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' earns $187.7M at weekend box office, second-best U.S. debut ever
- Spice Girls reunite at David Beckham's birthday
- 'Dances With Wolves' writer Michael Blake dies
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Halle Berry & Goldie Hawn, Plus Diddy, Melissa McCarthy & More!