RONALD REAGAN IN HOLLYWOOD Stephen Vaughn (Cambridge University Press, $24.95) Five years after Ronald Reagan’s second term, it is generally accepted that many of the Great Communicator’s skills were actually serendipitous byproducts of his stint as a contract player for Warner Bros. Less discussed were his days as an industry spokesman and propagandist, as well as his position as president of the Screen Actors Guild. These experiences, this book argues, formed many of Reagan’s later political positions, particularly on the Red Menace (his time with SAG coincided with the McCarthy hearings, and he cooperated with a government investigation of subversive forces in Hollywood). Vaughn, a professor of journalism at the University of Wisconsin, makes his point quite successfully, but the point itself is academic, as is the book; it reads like a dissertation. C+ -Vanessa V. Friedman
Ronald Reagan in Hollywood RONALD REAGAN IN HOLLYWOOD Stephen Vaughn (Cambridge University Press, $24.95) Five years after Ronald Reagan's second term, it is generally accepted...Ronald Reagan in HollywoodMovies, BiographyStephen Vaughn RONALD REAGAN IN HOLLYWOOD Stephen Vaughn (Cambridge University Press, $24.95) Five years after Ronald Reagan's second term, it is generally accepted...1994-03-04
Genre: Movies, Biography; Author: Stephen Vaughn
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:49 AM EST
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!