Prince en pointe? Not exactly. Joffrey Ballet artistic director Gerald Arpino enlisted four choreographers (Laura Dean, Charles Moulton, Margo Sappington, and Peter Pucci) to create a full-length ballet to 13 recorded songs by the currently unpronounceable one, including ”Purple Rain,” ”4 You,” and an extended version of ”Thunder.” The result, Billboards, was a crowd pleaser when it toured the U.S. last year, so it was taped for video release. The ballet itself occasionally hits a hip-hop high, though at its bump- and-grind worst it’s like an opera singer attempting rock. Derek Bailey, who directed the video production, doesn’t help with quick cuts, odd angles, and close-ups (of dancers’ faces and limbs) that can be jarring. At least the energetic, superbly trained dancers are a consistent pleasure. Billboards could have used less flash and a little more of Prince’s impish humor. Better yet, it could have used Prince himself. B-
Billboards Prince en pointe? Not exactly. Joffrey Ballet artistic director Gerald Arpino enlisted four choreographers (Laura Dean, Charles Moulton, Margo...BillboardsMusicalUnrated Prince en pointe? Not exactly. Joffrey Ballet artistic director Gerald Arpino enlisted four choreographers (Laura Dean, Charles Moulton, Margo...1994-03-11
Genre: Musical; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted March 11 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Disney eyes live-action 'Prince Charming'
- Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend lands own Beats 1 Radio show
- 'Sesame Street': Sonia 'Maria' Manzano's 7 favorites
- 'Hannibal': No go at Netflix, Amazon
- Caitlyn Jenner gives empowering talk in new 'I Am Cait' trailer
- Michael Eisner clarifies comment that beautiful, funny women are 'impossible to find'
- Sluggish Fourth of July box office no picnic for Hollywood
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!