Liza Minnelli starred in the film version of Nichols’ Sterile Cuckoo, Sonia Braga in his Milagro Beanfield War. If Conjugal Bliss: a Comedy of Martial Arts were a movie, though, it wouldn’t have much plot. Zelda — small, shapely, passionate, insanely jealous, easily wounded-marries Roger — sloppy, still semi-in-love with numerous former girlfriends. The newlyweds make love in pickup trucks, back alleys, and on the kitchen table. Otherwise they’re throwing furniture at one another. In time, the sex gets steamier, the furniture gets heavier. Pretty soon they can’t make love unless they’ve wrecked the house. The message: Marriage destroys your sense of humor. Nichols works too hard to prove his is intact. When he’s not being jokey and exuberant, he writes nice, loose, springy passages about the great outdoors, northern New Mexico, pinon forests, and starlight on the mesa. If this novel were a movie, you’d see it for the scenery. B-
Conjugal Bliss: A Comedy of Martial Arts Liza Minnelli starred in the film version of Nichols' Sterile Cuckoo, Sonia Braga in his Milagro Beanfield War. If Conjugal...Conjugal Bliss: A Comedy of Martial ArtsFictionJohn Nichols Liza Minnelli starred in the film version of Nichols' Sterile Cuckoo, Sonia Braga in his Milagro Beanfield War. If Conjugal...1994-03-11
Genre: Fiction; Author: John Nichols
Posted March 11 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Graceland' sneak peek: Has Mike uncovered Briggs' master plan?
- Miley Cyrus' wardrobe malfunction at VMAs unacceptable: PTC
- MTV's 'Scream' to pay tribute to Wes Craven
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!