Grasping, obnoxious family members battle each other while waiting for a cranky, rich old relative to kick off: Doesn’t this comic plotline appear in the notebooks of ancient Greek playwrights? In Greedy, a modern retelling by quirk-loving My Cousin Vinny director Jonathan Lynn and punch-line-loving City Slickers writers Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandel, Kirk Douglas is the cranky Croesus who threatens to leave his dough to his bikini-wearing ”nurse” (Olivia d’Abo); Michael J. Fox is the long-lost, high-minded favorite nephew who just might persuade the old guy to keep the money in the family. I wish every joke were sharper and darker. I wish the pacing weren’t so flabby. And most of all I wish every frame contained Phil Hartman. As a sleazy would-be heir, he steals each scene he’s in and makes statements such as ”I didn’t like the Beatles, and I don’t like you” zing like the poetry of Aristophanes, assuming Aristophanes wrote for Saturday Night Live. B-
Greedy Grasping, obnoxious family members battle each other while waiting for a cranky, rich old relative to kick off: Doesn't this comic plotline appear in...GreedyComedyPG-13 Grasping, obnoxious family members battle each other while waiting for a cranky, rich old relative to kick off: Doesn't this comic plotline appear in...1994-03-11Kirsten Dunst
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Kirk Douglas, Kirsten Dunst; Producer (person): Brian Grazer; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted March 11 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Pretty Little Liars': Torrey DeVitto says goodbye to Melissa Hastings
- Josh Gad boards Kenneth Branagh's 'Murder on the Orient Express'
- Box Office Preview: 'Madea,' 'Jack Reacher' Battle for No. 1
- 'Miss Peregrine's' author to pen second trilogy
- Gugu Mbatha-Raw joins Ava DuVernay’s 'A Wrinkle In Time'
- First 'Nashville' season 5 promo confirms Hayden Panettiere's return
- Neon Trees frontman Tyler Glenn to perform at EW PopFest