If you’re of a certain age, you can close your eyes and hear Dinah Shore exhorting you to ”See the USA in your Chevrolet!” and picture her putting her hand over her mouth to blow you a big, corny kiss: Mmmmmmm-wah! Shore, who died Feb. 24 at the age of 77 from cancer, was also the only serious golfer who ever dated both Burt Reynolds and Iggy Pop. A big-band singer with a hit- or-miss movie career (1943’s Thank Your Lucky Stars, 1944’s Up in Arms), Shore really came into her own on TV in the ’50s: As the host of The Dinah Shore Chevy Show, she used her honeyed Tennessee twang to put guests at ease and to sell cars with equal, innocent sincerity. In the ’70s, her daytime talk show Dinah’s Place showcased her mixture of chipper politeness and a certain ribald earthiness, no easy combo to pull off when you’re interviewing Joey Bishop or Hubert Humphrey. Send her memory a big mmmmm-wah!
Posted March 11 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Hugh Dancy explains that shocking 'Hannibal' series finale
- 'Hannibal' music supervisor on working with Siouxsie Sioux for the finale's song
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!