If you’re of a certain age, you can close your eyes and hear Dinah Shore exhorting you to ”See the USA in your Chevrolet!” and picture her putting her hand over her mouth to blow you a big, corny kiss: Mmmmmmm-wah! Shore, who died Feb. 24 at the age of 77 from cancer, was also the only serious golfer who ever dated both Burt Reynolds and Iggy Pop. A big-band singer with a hit- or-miss movie career (1943’s Thank Your Lucky Stars, 1944’s Up in Arms), Shore really came into her own on TV in the ’50s: As the host of The Dinah Shore Chevy Show, she used her honeyed Tennessee twang to put guests at ease and to sell cars with equal, innocent sincerity. In the ’70s, her daytime talk show Dinah’s Place showcased her mixture of chipper politeness and a certain ribald earthiness, no easy combo to pull off when you’re interviewing Joey Bishop or Hubert Humphrey. Send her memory a big mmmmm-wah!
Posted March 11 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Jeff Goldblum's back on the set of 'Independence Day 2'
- Amy Schumer takes on Cosby rape allegations
- 'Aloha': Sony defends vs. critics
- Azealia Banks to make feature film debut in RZA's 'Coco'
- Taylor Swift saluted with 8-foot Lego portrait at U.K. resort
- Tina Fey, Amy Poehler action figures
- 'Point Break' remake gets its first trailer
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- Ben Affleck, Taylor Swift, the Entourage Guys & More!