If you’re of a certain age, you can close your eyes and hear Dinah Shore exhorting you to ”See the USA in your Chevrolet!” and picture her putting her hand over her mouth to blow you a big, corny kiss: Mmmmmmm-wah! Shore, who died Feb. 24 at the age of 77 from cancer, was also the only serious golfer who ever dated both Burt Reynolds and Iggy Pop. A big-band singer with a hit- or-miss movie career (1943’s Thank Your Lucky Stars, 1944’s Up in Arms), Shore really came into her own on TV in the ’50s: As the host of The Dinah Shore Chevy Show, she used her honeyed Tennessee twang to put guests at ease and to sell cars with equal, innocent sincerity. In the ’70s, her daytime talk show Dinah’s Place showcased her mixture of chipper politeness and a certain ribald earthiness, no easy combo to pull off when you’re interviewing Joey Bishop or Hubert Humphrey. Send her memory a big mmmmm-wah!
Posted March 11 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Streamy Awards announce 2016 nominations
- 'Lip Sync Battle' bringing back celebrity champs for first live special
- Explicit photos of Leslie Jones leaked after website hack
- Ryan Lochte in talks to join 'Dancing with the Stars'
- 'Dirk Gently' teaser promises corpses, cops, and a killer
- New York Film Festival: Carrie Fisher film joins documentary lineup
- 'The Royals' gets season 3 premiere date, shirtless Prince Liam pics
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...