The success of Jim Carrey’s Ace Ventura: Pet Detective caught the industry by surprise, including New Line Cinema. Just weeks before the runaway hit opened, says a production source, the studio balked at paying the In Living Color regular $1 million to appear in its upcoming Dumb and Dumber. A very costly mistake. Since its debut, Ace has grossed more than $52 million and Carrey’s price tag has skyrocketed. As a result, New Line had to fork over $7 million to snag the star. The studio refused to comment. Carrey, meanwhile, is mulling over heaps of film offers. ”If the right thing is there for me,” he says, ”I’ll do it. If not, I’m just going to see what comes my way.”
Posted March 18 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Meek Mill hits back at Drake with diss track 'Wanna Know'
- 'Graceland' postmortem: Is Paige in over her head?
- 'Wet Hot' creators provide teases for 40 characters in the prequel
- Patricia Arquette to voice witch in 'Troll: The Rise of Harry Potter Jr.'
- Caitlyn Jenner practices her 'feminine voice' in 'I Am Cait' clip
- Dwayne Johnson on Hulk Hogan's racist rant: 'We've all talked trash'
- Jared Padalecki posted his first-ever #TBT: 13 more 'Supernatural' throwbacks
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!