The success of Jim Carrey’s Ace Ventura: Pet Detective caught the industry by surprise, including New Line Cinema. Just weeks before the runaway hit opened, says a production source, the studio balked at paying the In Living Color regular $1 million to appear in its upcoming Dumb and Dumber. A very costly mistake. Since its debut, Ace has grossed more than $52 million and Carrey’s price tag has skyrocketed. As a result, New Line had to fork over $7 million to snag the star. The studio refused to comment. Carrey, meanwhile, is mulling over heaps of film offers. ”If the right thing is there for me,” he says, ”I’ll do it. If not, I’m just going to see what comes my way.”
Posted March 18 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Robin Williams' daughter shares touching tribute to Oliver Sacks
- Jay Z apparently joined Instagram – then quit after only a few hours
- See Miley Cyrus meet Internet sensation Baddie Winkle before the VMAs
- Netflix will lose 'Catching Fire,' 'Transformers' at the end of September
- See the 'Man of Steel' trailer get the 'Deadpool' treatment
- See 'Game of Thrones' fans visit filming locations around the world
- Dave Grohl celebrates Chicago’s music scene at Wrigley Field show
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!