Because his fiction — Easy in the Islands, Swimming in the Volcano — tastes so satisfyingly spicy, it’s easy to understand why GQ signed Shacochis up five years ago as the magazine’s ”Dining In” columnist: His vibrant, offbeat, and sensual essays on the importance of food in the daily affairs of interesting, idiosyncratic men and women who know their way around kitchens combine an enthusiastic storyteller’s love of narrative with an enthusiastic cook’s love of fresh ingredients. Nearly all the pieces in Domesticity are from that GQ gig, wherein Shacochis uses the raw materials of his longstanding, nutritionally balanced relationship with the coyly named ”Miss F” to concoct appealing philosophical riffs, capped with serious recipes (for pheasant, for roast suckling pig, for West Indian pepper pot). Sometimes he gets caught up too much in the showy gloriousness of his own interesting, idiosyncratic life (and writer’s voice). Mostly, though, Shacochis cooks his columns just right and serves them salted and peppered to, taste. A-
Domesticity Because his fiction — Easy in the Islands, Swimming in the Volcano — tastes so satisfyingly spicy, it's easy to...DomesticityCooking/Home, EssaysBob Shacochis Because his fiction — Easy in the Islands, Swimming in the Volcano — tastes so satisfyingly spicy, it's easy to...1994-03-18
Genre: Cooking/Home, Essays; Author: Bob Shacochis
Posted March 18 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Selena Gomez is officially in 'Neighbors 2'
- Interracial family comedy in the works at NBC, from Parks and Recreation pair
- Emily Ratajkowski is over 'Blurred Lines': 'It's the bane of my existence'
- Janet Jackson shares powerful new single, 'Unbreakable'
- ESPN extends Curt Schilling's suspension through MLB season
- Benicio Del Toro hints again at 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' involvement
- 'Key & Peele' prove Neil deGrasse Tyson can use his brain to get out of anything
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!