The author becomes a member of the editorial board of The New York Times; one of his younger brothers becomes a drug dealer and is shot to death at 22. How it is that two members of the same family can end up leading such different lives — the flukes, wrong turns, and chance encounters that can radically change a life — is the underlying subject of Staples’ compelling memoir. The second child of nine in a poor black family, Staples was well on his way to a future in ”the commercial arts” as a clerk or secretary when he met a man who persuaded him go to college. He went on to get a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago and became a reporter. Meanwhile, his old neighborhood was turning from industry to drugs. A painfully honest account of the conflicts and choices caused by growing up and away from one’s roots, Parallel Time is less an autobiography than a meditation on a universal question: What makes us what we are? B+
Parallel Time The author becomes a member of the editorial board of The New York Times; one of his younger brothers becomes a drug dealer and is shot to...Parallel TimeMemoir, Pop CultureBrent Staples The author becomes a member of the editorial board of The New York Times; one of his younger brothers becomes a drug dealer and is shot to...1994-03-18
Genre: Memoir, Pop Culture; Author: Brent Staples
Posted March 18 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Bible' series won't return to NBC
- Gal Godot: 'It’s impossible not to be a little nervous' about playing Wonder Woman
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!