Subtitled ”a soap opera,” this clever modernization of Heinrich Marschner’s 1827 opera — in which vampirism has inevitably evolved into big business — is wildly entertaining and unexpectedly erotic, a cornucopia of camp and kitsch, shot with the ceaseless energy of a music video. Even people who don’t care about opera will be won over by The Vampyr: When the characters sing words like ”Oh, s—!” in recitative, all of this sounds hilariously, perfectly at home. A-
The VampyrSubtitled ''a soap opera,'' this clever modernization of Heinrich Marschner's 1827 opera — in which vampirism has inevitably evolved into big...The VampyrMusical, HorrorRSubtitled ''a soap opera,'' this clever modernization of Heinrich Marschner's 1827 opera — in which vampirism has inevitably evolved into big...1994-03-18
Genre: Musical, Horror; Starring: Fiona O'Neill, Omar Ebrahim; Director: Nigel Finch; MPAA Rating: R
Posted March 18 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Young Thug wants to call his next mixtape 'Carter V'
- Former Girls frontman Christopher Owens drops new album
- 'Pawn Sacrifice' trailer shows Bobby Fischer's greatest struggles
- Mariah and me(?!) on stage in Vegas: Tweet dreams are made of this...
- Critic's Mailbag: EW's movie critic wants to hear from you
- 'Marriage Boot Camp' welcomes... Jeff and Jordan from 'Big Brother?'
- U2 manager Dennis Sheehan dies
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Lady Gaga, The Rock, Demi Lovato & More!