Hey, pardners, listen up. This Michele Morris ain’t just some Annie Oakley wannabe. She’s a fourth-generation Montanan who tended dogies on her family’s cattle ranch. So don’t think this here book of hers is just some quick-draw nostalgia trip to remind you of watchin’ Roy and Dale. It’s a primer on how to cowboy, and if you’re one of them city slickers who couldn’t find a calf if it showed up in yer bed, this is for you. It’ll tell you everything from how to rope and brand and castrate to how to choose a saddle. And you’ll learn other fun things, like how to make Son-of-a-Bitch Stew, and why real cowboys wear Wranglers, not Levis. Plus you’ll meet folks like black bulldogger Bill Pickett, who got mad at a steer and bit it in the lip until it went down, and Dixie Reger Mosley, a cowgirl Evel Knievel who jumped cars on her palomino. The illustrations — lots of sepia- toned photos and detailed line drawings — won’t exactly pop the pearl snaps off yer shirt. But there’s enough wit and wisdom in The Cowboy Life to keep you happy. Just remember: Don’t drive black cattle in the dark. B
Posted March 25 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Neil Young pulls music from streaming services
- Alec Baldwin auditioned to play Henry Hill in 'Goodfellas'
- Jason Sudeikis to star in really unique Fox comedy project
- Meet Stone Crandall, Chris Hemsworth's well-endowed hunk in 'Vacation'
- Exclusive photos and intel on new characters from season 6 of ‘The Walking Dead'
- 'CSI' casts 'Faking It' star Katie Stevens for finale
- Christina Applegate on turning down 'Legally Blonde': 'What a stupid move'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Tyra Banks, The Madden Bros., Taylor Schilling & More!