Hey, pardners, listen up. This Michele Morris ain’t just some Annie Oakley wannabe. She’s a fourth-generation Montanan who tended dogies on her family’s cattle ranch. So don’t think this here book of hers is just some quick-draw nostalgia trip to remind you of watchin’ Roy and Dale. It’s a primer on how to cowboy, and if you’re one of them city slickers who couldn’t find a calf if it showed up in yer bed, this is for you. It’ll tell you everything from how to rope and brand and castrate to how to choose a saddle. And you’ll learn other fun things, like how to make Son-of-a-Bitch Stew, and why real cowboys wear Wranglers, not Levis. Plus you’ll meet folks like black bulldogger Bill Pickett, who got mad at a steer and bit it in the lip until it went down, and Dixie Reger Mosley, a cowgirl Evel Knievel who jumped cars on her palomino. The illustrations — lots of sepia- toned photos and detailed line drawings — won’t exactly pop the pearl snaps off yer shirt. But there’s enough wit and wisdom in The Cowboy Life to keep you happy. Just remember: Don’t drive black cattle in the dark. B
Posted March 25 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Diana Douglas, mother of Michael Douglas and ex-wife of Kirk Douglas, dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- Bubba Watson says he's removing Confederate flag from his 'Dukes of Hazzard' car
- Taylor Swift, Jimmy Fallon, more celebs spend July 4 on Instagram, Twitter
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!