From the opening shot of a burnt-orange GTO cruising a high school parking lot to the strains of Aerosmith’s ”Sweet Emotion,” Richard Linklater’s film nails mid-’70s adolescence so precisely that you’ll need Clearasil by the end credits. Low-key and immensely friendly, Dazed and Confused sends its large, amorphous cast skittering about like marbles, colluding and colliding on the last day of class in 1976. It’s just like American Graffiti, except Linklater prefers a gently stoned observation to anything as active as plot. If you weren’t there, this may play like a baffling anthropological treatise. If you were ther — and God knows this writer was — Linklater hands you the smell of a late-May night during senior year all over again. A-
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Joey Lauren Adams, Milla Jovovich, Jason London, Ben Affleck, Michelle Burke, Rory Cochrane, Adam Goldberg, Cole Hauser, Nicky Katt, Matthew McConaughey, Parker Posey, Anthony Rapp, Marissa Ribisi, Wylie Wiggins; Director: Richard Linklater; MPAA Rating: R
Posted March 25 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!