If you’ve forgotten about the heartland — and heart — of America, Plowden’s photographs will restore your faith in the poetry of small-town country stores, barbershops, and places of worship. There’s an eerie sameness to the images, and Plowden plays off the reader’s expectations of the country as much as he frames his own vision. The interiors seem not to have been touched since the ’50s, except for a good cleaning. Pulitzer Prize winner David McCullough introduces the book, writing, ”Plowden records only what he sees, exactly as is….” Small Town America makes the reader — and viewer — grateful for his vision. A+
Small Town America If you've forgotten about the heartland — and heart — of America, Plowden's photographs will restore your faith in the poetry of small...Small Town AmericaPop Culture, Coffee TableDavid Plowden If you've forgotten about the heartland — and heart — of America, Plowden's photographs will restore your faith in the poetry of small...1994-03-25
Genre: Pop Culture, Coffee Table; Author: David Plowden
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- 'It Follows': The story behind the score
- Nick Jonas talks hosting the 2015 Kids' Choice Awards, his new image and that Kanye West cover
- Ben Stiller's little-known punk rocker past comes to light
- 'Barely Lethal' R rating overturned
- 'New Yorker' editor David Remnick defends Lena Dunham's 'dog or Jewish boyfriend' piece
- WWE Studios boss talks Gene Simmons horror movie deal: 'Expect the unexpected'
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!