This mystery has all the trappings — money, murder, sexual intrigue — necessary to make it a generic potboiler, but for one thing: The truth is revealed in the second chapter. Voices in the Dark, it turns out, isn’t about suspense, it’s about motivation. A teenager falls to his death in Boston; in Bensington, a small suburb, his family mourns. Since there is no doubt about who killed the boy, the question is, who hired him to do it, and why? Ever since Peyton Place, the idea of misery roiling under the blue skies and green fields of small towns has been a part of the literary tradition, and Bensington is no exception. The end, though not entirely surprising, is at least satisfyingly righteous: The bad guys get their comeuppance, and the good guys get a chance at happiness once again. B
Voices in the Dark This mystery has all the trappings — money, murder, sexual intrigue — necessary to make it a generic potboiler, but for one thing: The...Voices in the DarkMystery and Thriller, FictionAndrew Coburn This mystery has all the trappings — money, murder, sexual intrigue — necessary to make it a generic potboiler, but for one thing: The...1994-03-25
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Fiction; Author: Andrew Coburn
Posted March 25 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt blazes through aptitude test in 'Snowden' clip
- Jon Favreau to direct Seth MacFarlane's space-set comedic drama 'Orville'
- Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj are reuniting for another VMAs performance
- VMAs: DJ Khaled, Key and Peele, Jay Pharoah to cover show in lieu of host
- Christoph Waltz in talks for James Cameron's 'Alita: Battle Angel'
- 'Doctor Strange' recruits 'Community' creator Dan Harmon for script assist
- 'Fuller House': Candace Cameron Bure, NKOTB star recreate adorable photo
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...