A well-made, sentimental melodrama, The Yarn Princess stars Designing Women’s Jean Smart and Murphy Brown’s Robert Pastorelli as the lower-middle-class parents of six sons ranging in age from 2 to 17. Smart’s Margaret is said by one character to have ”borderline retardation”; Margaret describes herself as ”a slow person.” Over the course of the movie, Pastorelli’s Jake suffers from increasingly intense schizophrenia. As his condition worsens, state authorities threaten to separate the boys and place them in foster homes, and The Yarn Princess becomes the story of Margaret’s heroic attempts to prove herself capable of raising her sons. The TV movie benefits greatly from the carefully modulated script by coproducer Dalene Young and the quiet performances of Smart and Pastorelli. In what will probably be taken by some as a terrible example of liberal media bias, one of the heroes of Yarn Princess is an ACLU lawyer, played by Dennis Boutsikaris (The Jackie Thomas Show), who comes to Margaret’s defense. B
The Yarn Princess A well-made, sentimental melodrama, The Yarn Princess stars Designing Women's Jean Smart and Murphy Brown's Robert...The Yarn Princess A well-made, sentimental melodrama, The Yarn Princess stars Designing Women's Jean Smart and Murphy Brown's Robert...1994-03-25
Starring: Robert Pastorelli, Jean Smart
Posted March 25 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- ‘Tomorrowland’ leads slow Memorial Day weekend at box office
- Jennifer Aniston's '90s throwback photo is picture perfect
- Straight No Chaser step into Jim Nabors' shoes, sing to kick off the Indy 500
- Dave Grohl joins Paul McCartney on London stage: Watch
- Kelly Rutherford gets sole custody of kids
- J.K. Rowling cheers Ireland's gay wed vote
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!