”Over half a million cubic feet of marble,” ”nearly 100 stained-glass windows,” ”Baccarat crystal chandeliers,” ”a medieval banquet hall with 70-foot arched ceilings” — after 90 minutes of this, your eyes glaze over from the flash and immensity of these American attempts to ape European nobility. Only slightly less smarmy than Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, America’s Castles’ video tour of the Gilded Age palaces of the Vanderbilts and their ilk makes you want to seek refuge in a log cabin.
America's Castles''Over half a million cubic feet of marble,'' ''nearly 100 stained-glass windows,'' ''Baccarat crystal chandeliers,'' ''a medieval banquet hall with 70...America's CastlesDocumentary''Over half a million cubic feet of marble,'' ''nearly 100 stained-glass windows,'' ''Baccarat crystal chandeliers,'' ''a medieval banquet hall with 70...1994-04-22
Posted April 22 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Lil Wayne debuts his 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- Bubba Watson says he's removing Confederate flag from his 'Dukes of Hazzard' car
- Taylor Swift, Jimmy Fallon, more celebs spend July 4 on Instagram, Twitter
- 'Crimson Peak' exclusive: Mia Wasikowska flees the darkness in Guillermo del Toro's Gothic chiller
- Beach reads: 15 heart-stopping thrillers to dive into this summer
- Zack Snyder defends ‘Man of Steel’ ending: You can’t have superheroes knock around with no consequences
- 50 Songs for 50 States: EW's favorite patriotic pop through the years
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Eddie Redmayne, Eva Longoria, Flo Rida & More!