”Over half a million cubic feet of marble,” ”nearly 100 stained-glass windows,” ”Baccarat crystal chandeliers,” ”a medieval banquet hall with 70-foot arched ceilings” — after 90 minutes of this, your eyes glaze over from the flash and immensity of these American attempts to ape European nobility. Only slightly less smarmy than Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, America’s Castles’ video tour of the Gilded Age palaces of the Vanderbilts and their ilk makes you want to seek refuge in a log cabin.
America's Castles''Over half a million cubic feet of marble,'' ''nearly 100 stained-glass windows,'' ''Baccarat crystal chandeliers,'' ''a medieval banquet hall with 70...America's CastlesDocumentary''Over half a million cubic feet of marble,'' ''nearly 100 stained-glass windows,'' ''Baccarat crystal chandeliers,'' ''a medieval banquet hall with 70...1994-04-22
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- Watch Trevor Noah's 'Daily Show' segments
- ACM Awards add Little Big Town, Lady Antebellum, surprise duet with Christina Aguilera
- Louis. C.K. plays Mayor Bill de Blasio's anger translator at Inner Circle dinner
- John Oliver wants you to ignore April Fools' Day
- 'Game of Thrones' actress Maisie Williams going to 'Doctor Who'
- Exclusive: Flo Rida drops breezy, Robin Thicke-featuring "I Don't Like It, I Love It"
- Justin Timberlake pretends to pull a Kanye on Taylor Swift at iHeartRadio Awards
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!