The three remaining members of Pink Floyd (guiding light Roger Waters acrimoniously split from the band more than a decade ago) could live like kings on the royalties from the 13 million-selling Dark Side of the Moon alone, but no—they had to go and release The Division Bell, their first studio album in seven years. Pink Floyd’s 1973 hit ”Money” was a surprisingly hooky, half-serious spoof on greed, but The Division Bell, which their current tour is promoting, is an objective lesson in the disastrous effects of that deadly sin. Avarice is the only conceivable explanation for this glib, vacuous cipher of an album, which is notable primarily for its stomach-turning merger of progressive-rock pomposity and New Age noodling. There are only two vaguely memorable songs, and they rip off U2 (”Take It Back”) and evoke Jackson Browne (”Lost for Words”). The rest are instantly forgettable tracks dressed up with keyboards, weird sound effects (called ”earth sounds” in the liner notes), a gloomy female choir, and, heaven help us, the requisite orchestra. It’s hard to imagine even the most dedicated Pink Floyd freaks hearing anything but dim echoes of their heroes’ former greatness in this mass of hot air. Still, there are millions of people who will plunk down hard-earned money for The Division Bell. Don’t say you weren’t warned.
The Division Bell The three remaining members of Pink Floyd (guiding light Roger Waters acrimoniously split from the band more than a decade ago) could live like kings...The Division Bell The three remaining members of Pink Floyd (guiding light Roger Waters acrimoniously split from the band more than a decade ago) could live like kings...1994-04-22
Status: In Season
Posted April 22 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kanye's new album: 'So Help Me God'
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!