In her 1982 blockbuster, The Mists of Avalon, Marion Zimmer Bradley retold the legend of King Arthur from a woman’s point of view. Infusing The Forest House with the same magic, Bradley has created the prequel to her Arthurian tale. Set around a.d. 69, in what was then Britannia, the novel chronicles a period during the Roman occupation when most people were held captive by the conquerors but were still captivated by their native priest-rulers, the mystical Druids. Meticulously researched, The Forest House maintains a dark edge, staying true to the turbulent times. Bradley avoids the all-too-frequent fate of the historical- novel genre: collapsing into a soggy mess. B+
The Forest House In her 1982 blockbuster, The Mists of Avalon, Marion Zimmer Bradley retold the legend of King Arthur from a woman's point of view. Infusing ...The Forest HouseHistorical Fiction, FictionMarion Zimmer Bradley In her 1982 blockbuster, The Mists of Avalon, Marion Zimmer Bradley retold the legend of King Arthur from a woman's point of view. Infusing ...1994-05-20
Genre: Historical Fiction, Fiction; Author: Marion Zimmer Bradley
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!