One odd little movie, The Air Up There sends a college basketball recruiter (Kevin Bacon) to the plains of Kenya, where he goes native with a vengeance. Too exotic (and light on the hoop action) for armchair jocks, the movie’s also predictable — underneath the tribal face paint lies every come-from-behind sports cliche. The depiction of the locals is sympathetic but shallow, and who knows why the producers filled the soundtrack with pop music from South Africa, a country more than 1,500 miles from Kenya. (Guess they think it all sounds alike.) Still, Bacon’s an engaging pro, Charles Gitonga Maina (as a 6-foot-8-inch tribal warrior) is a tranquil charmer, and you do get to travel to a place and a culture that Hollywood rarely bothers with. Too bad they made it look like Disneyland. C+
The Air Up There One odd little movie, The Air Up There sends a college basketball recruiter (Kevin Bacon) to the plains of Kenya, where he goes...The Air Up ThereComedyPG One odd little movie, The Air Up There sends a college basketball recruiter (Kevin Bacon) to the plains of Kenya, where he goes...1994-06-10
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Kevin Bacon, Charles Gitonga Maina; MPAA Rating: PG
Posted June 10 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer speaks out!
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer revealed! What's next?
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!