One odd little movie, The Air Up There sends a college basketball recruiter (Kevin Bacon) to the plains of Kenya, where he goes native with a vengeance. Too exotic (and light on the hoop action) for armchair jocks, the movie’s also predictable — underneath the tribal face paint lies every come-from-behind sports cliche. The depiction of the locals is sympathetic but shallow, and who knows why the producers filled the soundtrack with pop music from South Africa, a country more than 1,500 miles from Kenya. (Guess they think it all sounds alike.) Still, Bacon’s an engaging pro, Charles Gitonga Maina (as a 6-foot-8-inch tribal warrior) is a tranquil charmer, and you do get to travel to a place and a culture that Hollywood rarely bothers with. Too bad they made it look like Disneyland. C+
The Air Up There One odd little movie, The Air Up There sends a college basketball recruiter (Kevin Bacon) to the plains of Kenya, where he goes...The Air Up ThereComedyPG One odd little movie, The Air Up There sends a college basketball recruiter (Kevin Bacon) to the plains of Kenya, where he goes...1994-06-10
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Kevin Bacon, Charles Gitonga Maina; MPAA Rating: PG
Posted June 10 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- A$AP Rocky's 'At.Long.Last.A$AP' to drop at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!