ABC’s All My Children may rightly be called the thinking person’s soap for emphasizing social messages over sexual high jinks, but when the 24-year-old serial won this year’s Best Daytime Drama Emmy over CBS’ deserving favorite, Guiding Light, even AMC executive producer Felicia Behr was surprised. Though still one of soapdom’s best, AMC has never run so many clunkers at once: Palmer and the chicken restaurant? Pluck off, already. Trevor and Janet? Zzzzzz. At least the ensemble acting remains stellar — AMC is not just “The Susan Lucci Show.” Memo to the writers: John Callahan (Edmund) and Eva LaRue (Maria) sizzle, but reteam stud-puppy Grant Aleksander with the glorious Teresa Blake and I’ll be nodding my head rather than scratching it if you win another Emmy next year.
Posted June 10 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Elmo Williams, Oscar-winning editor of 'High Noon,' dies at 102
- See Sylvester Stallone become Rocky in this ultimate training montage
- See Po uncover the Secret Panda Village in new 'Kung Fu Panda 3' clip
- Setsuko Hara, Japanese screen legend, dies at 95
- Bryan Cranston moved to tears while discussing pivotal 'Breaking Bad' scene
- See photos from 'Arrow'-'The Flash' crossover with 'Legends of Tomorrow'
- Jon Favreau's 'Chef' is going Bollywood
- Taraji P. Henson's Biggest Moments in 2015
- Holiday Gift Guide: For the TV Fanatic
- 19 TV Families That Will Make You Thankful for Yours
- Literature's 8 Most Dysfunctional Thanksgiving Dinners
- 'Captain America: Civil War': Decoding the New Trailer
- EW's Entertainers of the Year pick their Entertainers of the Year