ABC’s All My Children may rightly be called the thinking person’s soap for emphasizing social messages over sexual high jinks, but when the 24-year-old serial won this year’s Best Daytime Drama Emmy over CBS’ deserving favorite, Guiding Light, even AMC executive producer Felicia Behr was surprised. Though still one of soapdom’s best, AMC has never run so many clunkers at once: Palmer and the chicken restaurant? Pluck off, already. Trevor and Janet? Zzzzzz. At least the ensemble acting remains stellar — AMC is not just “The Susan Lucci Show.” Memo to the writers: John Callahan (Edmund) and Eva LaRue (Maria) sizzle, but reteam stud-puppy Grant Aleksander with the glorious Teresa Blake and I’ll be nodding my head rather than scratching it if you win another Emmy next year.
Posted June 10 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Stephen King releases 'Drunken Fireworks' audiobook
- Casting Net: Julia Roberts signs on for 'Mother’s Day'
- 'Parks and Rec' alum Retta will host the 'Orphan Black' panel at Comic-Con
- Original Mickey Mouse Club to reunite at Disney's D23
- Apple's appeal denied in ebook antitrust case
- 'Creed': Watch the first trailer for the 'Rocky' spinoff
- Apple's Beats 1 radio will be censoring music
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson in new EW portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Ricky Martin, Tina & Jane, Paul Rudd and More!