ABC’s All My Children may rightly be called the thinking person’s soap for emphasizing social messages over sexual high jinks, but when the 24-year-old serial won this year’s Best Daytime Drama Emmy over CBS’ deserving favorite, Guiding Light, even AMC executive producer Felicia Behr was surprised. Though still one of soapdom’s best, AMC has never run so many clunkers at once: Palmer and the chicken restaurant? Pluck off, already. Trevor and Janet? Zzzzzz. At least the ensemble acting remains stellar — AMC is not just “The Susan Lucci Show.” Memo to the writers: John Callahan (Edmund) and Eva LaRue (Maria) sizzle, but reteam stud-puppy Grant Aleksander with the glorious Teresa Blake and I’ll be nodding my head rather than scratching it if you win another Emmy next year.
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- Watch Daft Punk's ode to Nile Rodgers from new documentary
- Jason Reitman hosting 'Mad Men' live read, finale screening
- Hear Barenaked Ladies' '90s alt-ballad 'Say What You Want'
- 'The Originals' star: Season 2 finale sets up 'a whole new show'
- Jenny Slate, Ari Graynor to star in FX road-trip comedy fro 'Obvious Child' team'
- D'Angelo announces U.S. dates for Second Coming tour
- 'Penny Dreadful' showrunner John Logan teases season 2's 'ferocious enemy'