For research I’m reading J.L. Dillard’s Black English because I’m writing a book about a white man and a black woman who are finding each other. For pleasure, I’m reading William Styron’s A Tidewater Morning. Styron is one of my favorite writers — I love his use of language. I don’t read a lot, in truth. Recently I read Pat Conroy’s The Prince of Tides and The Handmaid’s Tale, by Margaret Atwood. I also read Closing Arguments, by Frederick Busch, which was just wonderful, so spare.”
Posted June 10 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Dave Grohl's game of throne in D.C.
- Kit Harington: Buzz about long hair
- Missy Elliott takes show into the crowd at Essence Fest
- 'Jurassic World' stomps 'Terminator Genisys,' 'Magic Mike XXL' at holiday box office
- Kelly Clarkson and more top moments from 'Macy's 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular'
- Kelly Rutherford reunites with her kids
- Ed Sheeran: British red coat at Taylor Swift’s July 4 party
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!