In the ’80s, it was greenmail. In the ’90s, it’s black money, that is, money that has been laundered, moved about, and otherwise cleansed of its illegal origin but still can’t be considered clean. Such money, in Michael Thomas’ latest Wall Street thriller Black Money, is the currency of South American druglords, a renegade presidential adviser, a government computer consultant, and the mastermind behind it all: a onetime CIA operative-turned-financial adviser who also happens to be a gorgeous, brilliant woman with a prominent nose (the nose plays a significant role). Linking them all is a clever scheme to wash their dirty money without ever resorting to offshore banking. A mid-level government operative stumbles onto a hint of the plot’s existence and alerts the (female) owner of a small independent Washington newspaper, who smells a Pulitzer and calls in a (male) private investigator (with the unfortunate name of Coole). The book is a fine example of what it is — a Wall Street suspense novel — but what it is just doesn’t seem that interesting anymore. B
Black Money In the '80s, it was greenmail. In the '90s, it's black money, that is, money that has been laundered, moved about, and otherwise cleansed of its...Black MoneyFiction, Mystery and ThrillerMichael Thomas In the '80s, it was greenmail. In the '90s, it's black money, that is, money that has been laundered, moved about, and otherwise cleansed of its...1994-06-17
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: Michael Thomas
Posted June 17 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Michael Moore opens up about about making his latest film in secret
- Simon Pegg plays a drunk Ron Weasley on 'The Tonight Show'
- Yoko Ono and the Flaming Lips cover John Lennon's 'Happy Xmas (War Is Over)'
- Michael Shannon joins Broadway's 'Long Day’s Journey Into Night' revival
- Janis Ian: 'I have a personal stake' in Bill Cosby
- 'Sicario': Emily Blunt faces the cartels in exclusive new poster
- Metallica gets the comic book treatment
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Ellie Kemper, Matthew Fox, The VS Angels & More!