In the ’80s, it was greenmail. In the ’90s, it’s black money, that is, money that has been laundered, moved about, and otherwise cleansed of its illegal origin but still can’t be considered clean. Such money, in Michael Thomas’ latest Wall Street thriller Black Money, is the currency of South American druglords, a renegade presidential adviser, a government computer consultant, and the mastermind behind it all: a onetime CIA operative-turned-financial adviser who also happens to be a gorgeous, brilliant woman with a prominent nose (the nose plays a significant role). Linking them all is a clever scheme to wash their dirty money without ever resorting to offshore banking. A mid-level government operative stumbles onto a hint of the plot’s existence and alerts the (female) owner of a small independent Washington newspaper, who smells a Pulitzer and calls in a (male) private investigator (with the unfortunate name of Coole). The book is a fine example of what it is — a Wall Street suspense novel — but what it is just doesn’t seem that interesting anymore. B
Black Money In the '80s, it was greenmail. In the '90s, it's black money, that is, money that has been laundered, moved about, and otherwise cleansed of its...Black MoneyFiction, Mystery and ThrillerMichael Thomas In the '80s, it was greenmail. In the '90s, it's black money, that is, money that has been laundered, moved about, and otherwise cleansed of its...1994-06-17
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: Michael Thomas
Posted June 17 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Christian Slater weighs in on 'Mr. Robot' twist and season finale
- 'Mr. Robot' finale postmortem: Creator Sam Esmail answers burning questions
- 'iZombie' season 2 trailer teases what (or who) is on the menu for Liv Moore
- Casting Net: Mad Men star Jessica Pare cast in Lovesick
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' star Amanda Peterson's cause of death was an overdose
- Sony reaches settlement in hacking lawsuits
- Stephen Colbert counters Jeb Bush's 'Late Show' raffle with his own contest
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!