In the ’80s, it was greenmail. In the ’90s, it’s black money, that is, money that has been laundered, moved about, and otherwise cleansed of its illegal origin but still can’t be considered clean. Such money, in Michael Thomas’ latest Wall Street thriller Black Money, is the currency of South American druglords, a renegade presidential adviser, a government computer consultant, and the mastermind behind it all: a onetime CIA operative-turned-financial adviser who also happens to be a gorgeous, brilliant woman with a prominent nose (the nose plays a significant role). Linking them all is a clever scheme to wash their dirty money without ever resorting to offshore banking. A mid-level government operative stumbles onto a hint of the plot’s existence and alerts the (female) owner of a small independent Washington newspaper, who smells a Pulitzer and calls in a (male) private investigator (with the unfortunate name of Coole). The book is a fine example of what it is — a Wall Street suspense novel — but what it is just doesn’t seem that interesting anymore. B
Black Money In the '80s, it was greenmail. In the '90s, it's black money, that is, money that has been laundered, moved about, and otherwise cleansed of its...Black MoneyFiction, Mystery and ThrillerMichael Thomas In the '80s, it was greenmail. In the '90s, it's black money, that is, money that has been laundered, moved about, and otherwise cleansed of its...1994-06-17
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: Michael Thomas
Posted June 17 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Quentin Tarantino to release two cuts of 'The Hateful Eight'
- 'Bridget Jones's Baby' release date set for September 2016
- Eddie Murphy explains why he didn't mock Bill Cosby on 'SNL' special
- 'Quantico' scores full season order from ABC
- Steve Wozniak explains what’s real and what’s fake in 'Steve Jobs'
- Todrick Hall releases 'Hocus Pocus' spoof
- Donald Trump to host 'Saturday Night Live'
- 12 Instagram Photos of Pitbull Hanging Out with Celebrities
- 25 Unforgettable Dresses From the Past 25 Years
- Box Office Flops: 19 Notorious Opening Weekends
- EW's 25 Best Movies in 25 Years
- EW Reunions: Bonus portraits of your favorite TV and movie casts
- 'The Walking Dead': 15 Exclusive Storyboard Illustrations From Season 6