The subtitle of Black Velvet: The Art We Love to Hate flatters itself. Who sits around hating velvet paintings? Instead, when we spot them for sale on the side of the road, we just drive by at full speed. This book, by Jennifer Heath, may not win fans over to the velvet cause, but it will clear up what these fuzzy cultural icons are all about. Among the unlikeliest facts: The art form got its foothold in this country in the homes of wealthy 19th-century New Englanders. The reproductions here are gorgeously gaudy, even if they don’t convey the paintings’ delightfully tacky texture. Here are mighty matadors, a noble conquistador, Indian braves, scantily clad girls (island and otherwise), John Lennon, Jesus, and, of course, Elvis. Luminous, lush, and mesmerizing in their own ugly way, these designs work wonderfully on the printed page — better there than in your living room. B+
Black Velvet: The Art We Love to HateThe subtitle of Black Velvet: The Art We Love to Hate flatters itself. Who sits around hating velvet paintings? Instead, when we spot...Black Velvet: The Art We Love to HatePop CultureJennifer HeathThe subtitle of Black Velvet: The Art We Love to Hate flatters itself. Who sits around hating velvet paintings? Instead, when we spot...1994-06-17
Genre: Pop Culture; Author: Jennifer Heath
Posted June 17 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See Chloe Moretz in the first trailer for 'The 5th Wave'
- New 'AHS: Hotel' teasers: What do they mean?
- One Direction break six 2016 Guinness World Records
- See an exclusive poster and trailer for thriller 'Partisan'
- 'Scandal's' Huck and Quinn have some dark plans for Gonzo in 'Muppets' teaser
- Bette Midler wants to play Amy Schumer and Jennifer Lawrence’s mom
- El-P on 'Meow the Jewels': 'Let's fight injustice with pure, annoying stupidity'
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Laura & Andrew, Rihanna and More!