Called Out A.G. Mojtabai (Doubleday, $22) If the movie Field of Dreams was too sentimental for your tastes, try Called Out, a chilling little novel about a field of nightmares. The field — ”furrowed, pre-watered, ready for seeding” — belongs to a farm widow living in the West Texas plains. When a commercial jetliner crashes there, her acres become a place of pilgrimage for the families of passengers incinerated in the wreck. How a small town copes with sudden horror is spelled out in quiet, painstaking detail, with little jabs of dry humor. In her last book, Blessed Assurance (which was nonfiction), A.G. Mojtabai talked to the folks at the nuclear warhead factory in Amarillo, Tex. Here she is still thinking about the unthinkable in fresh, surprising ways. The tired and aging country priest, challenged to bring solace to Muslims, cynics, and atheists from around the globe, is a creation worthy of Graham Greene. A-
Called Out Called Out A.G. Mojtabai (Doubleday, $22) If the movie Field of Dreams was too sentimental for your tastes, try Called Out, a...Called Out Called Out A.G. Mojtabai (Doubleday, $22) If the movie Field of Dreams was too sentimental for your tastes, try Called Out, a...1994-06-17
Posted June 17 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!