Called Out A.G. Mojtabai (Doubleday, $22) If the movie Field of Dreams was too sentimental for your tastes, try Called Out, a chilling little novel about a field of nightmares. The field — ”furrowed, pre-watered, ready for seeding” — belongs to a farm widow living in the West Texas plains. When a commercial jetliner crashes there, her acres become a place of pilgrimage for the families of passengers incinerated in the wreck. How a small town copes with sudden horror is spelled out in quiet, painstaking detail, with little jabs of dry humor. In her last book, Blessed Assurance (which was nonfiction), A.G. Mojtabai talked to the folks at the nuclear warhead factory in Amarillo, Tex. Here she is still thinking about the unthinkable in fresh, surprising ways. The tired and aging country priest, challenged to bring solace to Muslims, cynics, and atheists from around the globe, is a creation worthy of Graham Greene. A-
Called Out Called Out A.G. Mojtabai (Doubleday, $22) If the movie Field of Dreams was too sentimental for your tastes, try Called Out, a...Called Out Called Out A.G. Mojtabai (Doubleday, $22) If the movie Field of Dreams was too sentimental for your tastes, try Called Out, a...1994-06-17
Posted June 17 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Qs
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!