Emanuel Levy (Morrow, $25) George Cukor called Katharine Hepburn ”straight as a knife and slippery as a snake” and cast her in her first movie. He once replaced Charles Laughton with W.C. Fields, let Ernst Lubitsch bully him out of a screen credit, got fired from Gone With the Wind — possibly for knowing too much about Clark Gable’s secret sex life — and directed 50 years of Hollywood’s best films, including My Fair Lady and the Judy Garland-James Mason A Star Is Born. Emanuel Levy, an Arizona State film and sociology professor, based his admiring but realistic biography, George Cukor: Master of Elegance: Hollywood’s Legendary Director and His Stars, on more than 100 interviews and twice that many written sources. His look at Garland’s work with Cukor is especially wrenching, and other tales of intriguing stars, films, writers, competitors, producers, failures, and triumphs round out this fascinating biography of one of Hollywood’s most respected directors. A-
George Cukor: Master of Elegance: Hollywood's Legendary Director and His Stars Emanuel Levy (Morrow, $25) George Cukor called Katharine Hepburn ''straight as a knife and slippery as a snake'' and cast her in her first movie. He...George Cukor: Master of Elegance: Hollywood's Legendary Director and His StarsBiography, MoviesEmanuel Levy Emanuel Levy (Morrow, $25) George Cukor called Katharine Hepburn ''straight as a knife and slippery as a snake'' and cast her in her first movie. He...1994-06-17
Genre: Biography, Movies; Author: Emanuel Levy
Posted June 17 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Gallery Books to publish an investigative book about Whitney Houston and Bobbi Kristina
- Michael Gambon to play Winston Churchill in new TV project
- Johnny Depp could face jail time for illegally bringing dogs to Australia
- Jake Owen shifts gears on infectious new single, talks 'funkier' new album
- Jon Stewart helps Iraq War veterans find jobs in TV
- Queen Latifah channels LL Cool J for her 'Lip Sync Battle' performance
- Katharine McPhee drops catchy comeback single 'Lick My Lips'
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Bryce & Chris, Karlie Kloss, Tony & Gaga and More!