Emanuel Levy (Morrow, $25) George Cukor called Katharine Hepburn ”straight as a knife and slippery as a snake” and cast her in her first movie. He once replaced Charles Laughton with W.C. Fields, let Ernst Lubitsch bully him out of a screen credit, got fired from Gone With the Wind — possibly for knowing too much about Clark Gable’s secret sex life — and directed 50 years of Hollywood’s best films, including My Fair Lady and the Judy Garland-James Mason A Star Is Born. Emanuel Levy, an Arizona State film and sociology professor, based his admiring but realistic biography, George Cukor: Master of Elegance: Hollywood’s Legendary Director and His Stars, on more than 100 interviews and twice that many written sources. His look at Garland’s work with Cukor is especially wrenching, and other tales of intriguing stars, films, writers, competitors, producers, failures, and triumphs round out this fascinating biography of one of Hollywood’s most respected directors. A-
George Cukor: Master of Elegance: Hollywood's Legendary Director and His Stars Emanuel Levy (Morrow, $25) George Cukor called Katharine Hepburn ''straight as a knife and slippery as a snake'' and cast her in her first movie. He...George Cukor: Master of Elegance: Hollywood's Legendary Director and His StarsBiography, MoviesEmanuel Levy Emanuel Levy (Morrow, $25) George Cukor called Katharine Hepburn ''straight as a knife and slippery as a snake'' and cast her in her first movie. He...1994-06-17
Genre: Biography, Movies; Author: Emanuel Levy
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!