Christina Hoff Sommers (Simon & Schuster, $23) Don’t be fooled by the title, Who Stole Feminism: How Women Have Betrayed Women. This is not a mystery. It is, rather, a concise, clearheaded call to rationality and moderation-a breath of cool air in what has become the overheated genre of books known as ”Women’s Studies.” Christina Hoff Sommers, an associate professor of philosophy at Clark University, has systematically set about to demythologize the claims of what she calls the ”gender feminists”-i.e., those women (Naomi Wolf, Susan Faludi, Patricia Ireland, Catharine MacKinnon, and Gloria Steinem) who believe not that women should get equal treatment, but that women should get special treatment. It’s not that Sommers believes women should just shut up and sit down, it’s that she believes that by antagonizing and intimidating most men, and employing questionable studies as proof, the gender feminists are doing more harm to their cause than good. Whether or not you ultimately agree with Sommers’ conclusions, this is a very readable, well-reasoned representation of today’s moderate feminist — a voice that, despite its inherent moderate volume, deserves to be heard. A-
Who Stole Feminism: How Women Have Betrayed Women Christina Hoff Sommers (Simon & Schuster, $23) Don't be fooled by the title, Who Stole Feminism: How Women Have Betrayed Women. This...Who Stole Feminism: How Women Have Betrayed WomenWomen's StudiesChristina Hoff Sommers Christina Hoff Sommers (Simon & Schuster, $23) Don't be fooled by the title, Who Stole Feminism: How Women Have Betrayed Women. This...1994-06-17
Genre: Women's Studies; Author: Christina Hoff Sommers
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- Casting Net: Courtney Love, Timothy Hutton, Giancarlo Esposito join James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Nicki Minaj joins 'Barbershop 3' cast
- 'Forever' sneak peek: John Noble puts Henry to a test he nearly fails
- 'Late Show' sneak peek: President Obama, David Letterman make retirement plans
- 'The Flash': Iris confronts Barry with the truth
- Jada Pinkett Smith on Fish Mooney's fate as 'Gotham' wraps season 1
- Orlando Jones exits 'Sleepy Hollow'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Britney Spears, Orlando Bloom, Solange & More!