Christina Hoff Sommers (Simon & Schuster, $23) Don’t be fooled by the title, Who Stole Feminism: How Women Have Betrayed Women. This is not a mystery. It is, rather, a concise, clearheaded call to rationality and moderation-a breath of cool air in what has become the overheated genre of books known as ”Women’s Studies.” Christina Hoff Sommers, an associate professor of philosophy at Clark University, has systematically set about to demythologize the claims of what she calls the ”gender feminists”-i.e., those women (Naomi Wolf, Susan Faludi, Patricia Ireland, Catharine MacKinnon, and Gloria Steinem) who believe not that women should get equal treatment, but that women should get special treatment. It’s not that Sommers believes women should just shut up and sit down, it’s that she believes that by antagonizing and intimidating most men, and employing questionable studies as proof, the gender feminists are doing more harm to their cause than good. Whether or not you ultimately agree with Sommers’ conclusions, this is a very readable, well-reasoned representation of today’s moderate feminist — a voice that, despite its inherent moderate volume, deserves to be heard. A-
Who Stole Feminism: How Women Have Betrayed Women Christina Hoff Sommers (Simon & Schuster, $23) Don't be fooled by the title, Who Stole Feminism: How Women Have Betrayed Women. This...Who Stole Feminism: How Women Have Betrayed WomenWomen's StudiesChristina Hoff Sommers Christina Hoff Sommers (Simon & Schuster, $23) Don't be fooled by the title, Who Stole Feminism: How Women Have Betrayed Women. This...1994-06-17
Genre: Women's Studies; Author: Christina Hoff Sommers
Posted June 17 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!