Christina Hoff Sommers (Simon & Schuster, $23) Don’t be fooled by the title, Who Stole Feminism: How Women Have Betrayed Women. This is not a mystery. It is, rather, a concise, clearheaded call to rationality and moderation-a breath of cool air in what has become the overheated genre of books known as ”Women’s Studies.” Christina Hoff Sommers, an associate professor of philosophy at Clark University, has systematically set about to demythologize the claims of what she calls the ”gender feminists”-i.e., those women (Naomi Wolf, Susan Faludi, Patricia Ireland, Catharine MacKinnon, and Gloria Steinem) who believe not that women should get equal treatment, but that women should get special treatment. It’s not that Sommers believes women should just shut up and sit down, it’s that she believes that by antagonizing and intimidating most men, and employing questionable studies as proof, the gender feminists are doing more harm to their cause than good. Whether or not you ultimately agree with Sommers’ conclusions, this is a very readable, well-reasoned representation of today’s moderate feminist — a voice that, despite its inherent moderate volume, deserves to be heard. A-
Who Stole Feminism: How Women Have Betrayed Women Christina Hoff Sommers (Simon & Schuster, $23) Don't be fooled by the title, Who Stole Feminism: How Women Have Betrayed Women. This...Who Stole Feminism: How Women Have Betrayed WomenWomen's StudiesChristina Hoff Sommers Christina Hoff Sommers (Simon & Schuster, $23) Don't be fooled by the title, Who Stole Feminism: How Women Have Betrayed Women. This...1994-06-17
Genre: Women's Studies; Author: Christina Hoff Sommers
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- Angelina Jolie makes first public appearance since her surgery at the Kids Choice Awards
- Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards: The Winners
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson hosts 'SNL': Talk about it here
- Hugh Jackman teases final go-round as 'Wolverine' on Instagram
- J.K. Rowling's 'Casual Vacancy' miniseries gets a trailer
- Sacha Baron Cohen as Freddie Mercury
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller, Kate & Kate and More!