Christina Hoff Sommers (Simon & Schuster, $23) Don’t be fooled by the title, Who Stole Feminism: How Women Have Betrayed Women. This is not a mystery. It is, rather, a concise, clearheaded call to rationality and moderation-a breath of cool air in what has become the overheated genre of books known as ”Women’s Studies.” Christina Hoff Sommers, an associate professor of philosophy at Clark University, has systematically set about to demythologize the claims of what she calls the ”gender feminists”-i.e., those women (Naomi Wolf, Susan Faludi, Patricia Ireland, Catharine MacKinnon, and Gloria Steinem) who believe not that women should get equal treatment, but that women should get special treatment. It’s not that Sommers believes women should just shut up and sit down, it’s that she believes that by antagonizing and intimidating most men, and employing questionable studies as proof, the gender feminists are doing more harm to their cause than good. Whether or not you ultimately agree with Sommers’ conclusions, this is a very readable, well-reasoned representation of today’s moderate feminist — a voice that, despite its inherent moderate volume, deserves to be heard. A-
Who Stole Feminism: How Women Have Betrayed Women Christina Hoff Sommers (Simon & Schuster, $23) Don't be fooled by the title, Who Stole Feminism: How Women Have Betrayed Women. This...Who Stole Feminism: How Women Have Betrayed WomenWomen's StudiesChristina Hoff Sommers Christina Hoff Sommers (Simon & Schuster, $23) Don't be fooled by the title, Who Stole Feminism: How Women Have Betrayed Women. This...1994-06-17
Genre: Women's Studies; Author: Christina Hoff Sommers
Posted June 17 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- The Democratic Party approves of Kanye West's presidential run
- Broadway-bound 'SpongeBob' musical to premiering in Chicago
- 'Drunk History' season 3 scoop: Will Ferrell as Roald Dahl and more
- One Direction producer previews new 1D album: 'We're experimenting a little'
- Rachel Bilson, Autumn Reeser stage 'O.C.' reunion at 'Unauthorized O.C. Musical'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' ratings dip to still-huge numbers
- Kylie Jenner stars in Tyga's new music video for 'Stimulated'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!