From their home office at K & L’s Rock America in New York City (five doors up from Late Show With David Letterman’s Ed Sullivan Theater on Broadway), we present the Top Ten cool things about Dave’s pals Mujibur Rahman and Sirajul Islam:
10. Since Dave first sent his cameras in last summer, the souvenir store where Mujibur, 39, is a manager and Sirajul, 34, is a sales clerk has become a mecca for Lettermaniacs; Late Show-related T-shirts, sweatshirts, and refrigerator magnets are its most popular items.
9. The pair estimates they pose for photos with fans about 200 times a day. ”Sometimes I get scared about my eyes,” Mujibur says. ”Too many flash cameras.”
8. The Bangladesh natives met at the University of Dhaka and emigrated separately to the U.S. in 1981; both have wives and children, and both live in Astoria, Queens. ”The first time Dave asked me, I mentioned several times, ‘I’m from Bangladesh,”’ Mujibur says. ”All the Bangladeshis watching were very proud.”
7. CBS doesn’t pay them when Dave’s camera stops by, but they do get a fee for ”special assignments,” such as their recent trip to L.A. ”They treated us like stars,” Mujibur says. ”We stayed at the same hotel as the camera crew.”
6. Occasional Dave-watchers when he was on NBC, they never miss his show now, and flip over to Jay Leno only to gather information on the competition.
5. If you’re planning a visit to Rock America and want to see both of them, be advised that Mujibur’s day off is Sunday, and Sirajul’s is Wednesday.
4. During his pre-show warm-up, Dave often tells the studio audience that they’re eligible for a 10 percent discount at the store. ”One or two people have asked for it,” Sirajul says. ”The others understand it’s a joke.”
3. They have never heard of Tom Snyder.
2. Sirajul doesn’t mind when Mujibur dominates the conversations with Dave. ”When one person’s talking, the other person should stop,” Sirajul says. ”It’s easier.”
1. They realize how lucky they are. ”It’s like winning the lotto,” Mujibur says of the duo’s flukish fame. ”From the bottom of my heart, thanks to Dave. God bless his family. God bless America.”