The lastest twist in the Bridges of Madison County saga? Director Bruce Beresford is now considering European actresses to costar with Clint Eastwood in the film of the hugely popular novel. That’s bad news to the legion of Hollywood actresses — Susan Sarandon, Anjelica Huston, and Cher among them — who were said to be interested in playing the farmer’s wife who has a four-day affair with a photographer. News that Cher may no longer be in the running has heartened residents of Winterset, Iowa, where the movie begins shooting in September. ”I can’t quite see Cher walking down one of our dusty rock roads,” says Sherry Ellis of Madison County’s chamber of commerce. ”We’re hoping they cast an unknown Iowan.” Either way, filming will help the local economy: The producers, Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Entertainment, have agreed to hire between 500 and 1,000 locals to work on the film.
Posted June 24 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Mark Hamill to return as The Joker for 'The Killing Joke'
- Hugh Jackman shares final ‘Wolverine’ teaser image
- Casting Net: Morgan Freeman leads up action film 'Down to a Sunless Sea'
- 'The Bachelorette': And the 'winner' is...
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- 'All the Bright Places' starring Elle Fanning finds its director
- HBO developing new Wild West drama series 'Untamed'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Matthew & Keri, Katy Perry, Cate Blanchett & More!