”I am reading William Shirer’s The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Why am I reading this? I must have something in mind to write about in the future. And I just came back from a few weeks in the mountains, so I needed something fat. I’m also reading Christina Garcia’s Dreaming in Cuban. I’ve been reading a lot of books about Mexico for a book I’m writing — Tortilla Curtain, about the issue of borders, walls, and 5.5 billion people on the planet — Coyotes, by Ted Conover, about working with illegal Mexican aliens, and Oscar Lewis’ book The Children of Sanchez. When I was a youth, I read every book right till the end. Now I realize I don’t have to clean my plate all the time.”
Posted June 24 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Grey's Anatomy': What's next for the Mer-Maggie-Riggs triangle?
- Sting and Jimmy Fallon share a textual experience
- What To Watch Thursday: Another bad person in 'The Good Place'
- 'A Game of Thrones': Preview the enhanced iBooks edition
- 'Survivor': Jeff Probst on the latest medical scare
- 'Criminal Minds': Thomas Gibson returns for premiere
- 'Birth of a Nation' director Nate Parker to appear on '60 Minutes'