”I am reading William Shirer’s The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Why am I reading this? I must have something in mind to write about in the future. And I just came back from a few weeks in the mountains, so I needed something fat. I’m also reading Christina Garcia’s Dreaming in Cuban. I’ve been reading a lot of books about Mexico for a book I’m writing — Tortilla Curtain, about the issue of borders, walls, and 5.5 billion people on the planet — Coyotes, by Ted Conover, about working with illegal Mexican aliens, and Oscar Lewis’ book The Children of Sanchez. When I was a youth, I read every book right till the end. Now I realize I don’t have to clean my plate all the time.”
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- There's even more mayhem—and a plot—in the new 'Mad Max' trailer
- Watch Uzo Aduba play Sweeney Todd in Miscast performance
- 'Batman: Arkham Knight'-branded PlayStation 4 announced
- Ciara unveils timeless 'Jackie' album artwork, announces spring tour
- Watch the stars of 'Weird Loners' pitch the series to Kanye West
- You might not make it to the desert, but you can still experience Coachella
- Netflix, Marvel name Cheo Hodari Coker as 'Luke Cage' showrunner
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!