”I am reading William Shirer’s The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Why am I reading this? I must have something in mind to write about in the future. And I just came back from a few weeks in the mountains, so I needed something fat. I’m also reading Christina Garcia’s Dreaming in Cuban. I’ve been reading a lot of books about Mexico for a book I’m writing — Tortilla Curtain, about the issue of borders, walls, and 5.5 billion people on the planet — Coyotes, by Ted Conover, about working with illegal Mexican aliens, and Oscar Lewis’ book The Children of Sanchez. When I was a youth, I read every book right till the end. Now I realize I don’t have to clean my plate all the time.”
Posted June 24 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Philinda finally going to happen?
- Adele endorses Hillary Clinton at Miami concert
- Stephen Colbert compares Donald Trump to Voldemort
- 'This Is Us': Dan Fogelman breaks down Jack and William revelations
- Trump-inspired 'Law & Order: SVU' episode gets post-election air date
- 'This Is Us': Milo Ventimiglia on Jack's fate
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival: New posters feature three generations, plus Luke
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like
- 'Smallville': Where Are They Now?
- Flashback to Taylor Swift's First Album Drop