”I am reading William Shirer’s The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Why am I reading this? I must have something in mind to write about in the future. And I just came back from a few weeks in the mountains, so I needed something fat. I’m also reading Christina Garcia’s Dreaming in Cuban. I’ve been reading a lot of books about Mexico for a book I’m writing — Tortilla Curtain, about the issue of borders, walls, and 5.5 billion people on the planet — Coyotes, by Ted Conover, about working with illegal Mexican aliens, and Oscar Lewis’ book The Children of Sanchez. When I was a youth, I read every book right till the end. Now I realize I don’t have to clean my plate all the time.”
Posted June 24 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Gotham Awards 2015: 'Spotlight,' 'Tangerine' top the winners list
- Reese Witherspoon developing movie about Barbie creator, with an eye to star
- Casting Net: Alicia Vikander joins James McAvoy in romantic thriller
- The Avengers get rom-com treatment in remix video
- Superman unmasks Batman in new sneak peek from 'Dawn of Justice'
- J.J. Abrams says screening 'Force Awakens' for Disney bosses was 'horrifying'
- 'Flash'-'Arrow' bosses & cast preview epic crossover with 'Legends of Tomorrow'